PlanetMinis Forums banner

241 - 260 of 279 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Looks like you have a nice SL70 there, you see what I started with, with a little time and patience you can bring it back and make your brother proud. The exhaust looks to be in good shape, that's the item hardest to find, as far as the tank, they pop up from time to time, didn't take me long to find a couple of descent ones. I keep an eye on Epay and have been helped out here by a generous member, after I finish my projects, I will have a few things to pass on. As far as the speedo, the originals are still out there, but in the $100 range, good luck with your project and keep us posted, don't forget to post in the wanted section.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I used the Dupli Color BCP103 caliper paint on frame and engine covers, looks close to cloud silver, I did spray clear over it on the frame. I see the aftermarket mufflers are now available for $400.?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Got a few parts blasted and painted this weekend. Tail light bracket was bent up bad on the plate portion and the chrome was bad, so black it is.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Got bench polisher this last weekend and have been busy on the wheels. The are pitted and were extremely cruddy but about 10 haours at the bench and they look decent... or at least I am happy with them. I also got the frame cleaned up... don’t tell my wife about that I borrowed the sink!

I need a better set of chrome tubes for the front forks and need to make some decisions on the handlebars, lots of rust on both. I’m thinking I may blast the handlebars and see if I can get them down to metal, clean them up, and go black. Still on the fence on keeping it blue or going red. I always wanted a red SL70. Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #247
Been working on a lot of little Honda's recently. This K0 was painted a good ten years ago. Even though it is not the stock color, I like how the candy red and cloud silver looks more like the larger Honda SL dirtbikes of the same era. The engine cases were polished, an 88cc piston, heavy duty clutch, and monster cam were dropped in. There is a reproduction muffler and seat, new carb, NOS wire harness, and some fresh chrome on the bike.
IMG_8065.jpg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Great looking ride. I’m on the fence on the color for mine. It has been my bike for 42 years and while the blue is a sharp color, I always wanted a red one. 90% sure it will end up red, now I’ll have decide on ruby red or a custom red.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #250
Great looking ride. I’m on the fence on the color for mine. It has been my bike for 42 years and while the blue is a sharp color, I always wanted a red one. 90% sure it will end up red, now I’ll have decide on ruby red or a custom red.
Thanks. If you go with the original ruby red, it is a little tricky to lay down like the original paint. The original ruby is laid over the white used for the sail. The tricky part is to get the red in a light coat over the white. If you lay it down too heavy, the paint will look more maroon. I have seen several original paint red SL70's that had the paint worn off by the seat rubbing it, and you can see six different layers, alternating white and red! Not sure if they did it that way for a reason, or if it was just mess-ups that had to be re-painted a couple times. I was thinking the factory may have had to adjust their painting method to get the right end color.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Nice bike, should have bodywork painted this weekend, took me a while to get the contour right where I filled in for the tank badge, pics to follow shortly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Got the frame painted this weekend! I’ll have to redo the head tube as it is off to a local welding shop to have a new stop tab made and welded on. The welder was awesome. Turns out he has a trail 70 that his family won in a drawing the local Honda dealer held back in the day. I walked in, showed him a picture of just the head tube from a photo from ebay and he replied “is that a Honda?”. We talked Honda’s for a good 10 minutes. I bolted up the wheels and a few parts just to see how it looks.... I’m liking it. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Was finally able to get the parts painted, this is Duplicolor Metalcast over the base coat, had to decant the aerosol cans, sprayed rough a hvlp spray gun, low pressure, this stuff is like water. 2 cans of base coat and 4 cans of Metalcast, $60 vs. $200 for candy yellow, 2 coats of base coat and 4 coats of Metalcast, can't complain, turned out great considering I'm not a painter.:)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Couldn't wait to give it a test fit:) Going to order a new set of shocks from Marbles, I see light at the end of the tunnel, now I'm thinking of jumping on the restoration of my second one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wow. Looks awesome! Got a few more parts back on my bike this weekend and started on the engine. It doesn’t smoke and ran solid so just a cleanup and some cleanup and back on the bike.

Anyone have a good wire diagram for the 71 or any other good PDF materials like service manuals they would share?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the wiring diagram. Worked on cleaning up and getting some polishing and painting on the engine today.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Going to wait until I get my decals applied and clear coated before I add fuel, I have spark, boiled carb and added a Keyster kit, one of the elements is burned out, so waiting on a headlamp and battery, about time to start a new project.

241 - 260 of 279 Posts