PlanetMinis Forums banner

221 - 238 of 238 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
The frame looks good.

What vehicle is the green shell in the background?
It's a 1973 M718A1 1/4 ton military ambulance, it's on the rotisserie, I restore military jeeps, another bad habit I have, lol, I just finished this one not long ago, it's a M151A2 with aftermarket body. I like the Vietnam 1/4 tons with independent suspension all the way around, but I own several types.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks guys, never thought I would score so quick, also have a nice set of fork tubes on the way, should have enough to get one going for sure.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Yes the blue set is usable as is, but considering hambone is a top notch military vehicle restorer, I’m sure he’s gonna paint them.
Will get you the forks and remaining parts out this weekend.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks again Spiz, Yes I am going back with original color, but with the price of candy yellow, I going to experiment with removing the paint from the DupliColor Metalcast yellow can and spraying it thru my gun. From what I have seen, it's not bad off, ordered some tank decals and some knockoff side covers, I hope they are good quality. Still have to do a little research on the wiring harness, sure would be nice to buy a $60 new one, not doing a museum resto, just want it to look nice. May buy a few nuts and bolts along the way but nothing major, the bill adds up quick.:oops:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys, I just picked up a 1971 SL70 in Aquarius blue. The rear fender was missing and I was able to obtain a yellow replacement. The tank is in ok shape, but could use paint. The front fender and now the rear fender will need paint. I'm not a perfectionist, but I like to get close. I know Marble motors sell the correct paint, but has anyone tried another color. I'm thinking VHT Ford Light Blue SP134 or possibly Rustoleum Safety Blue. Any thoughts would be appreciated. PS. I have 2K Spray Max to Clear coat for durability as needed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I started with a 1971 SL70 rusty roller I purchased for $100 that someone had ridden into a tree bending the frame at the neck.
20171008_143115.jpg

I put a 140 engine on it and 14 inch knobbies front and back. The front end was always in the air and it was quite dangerous like this.
20171209_150939.jpg

To make the death trap more manageable I put in a 1997 Kawasaki KX80 rear suspension and rear brake. I also put longer shocks up front.
20180210_140410.jpg

Since SL70 parts cost a fortune and this was going to be something I ride I decided to go with a crf body.
20180218_145408_1518983938919.jpg

I rode it 70 miles on the Hatfield-McCoy trails in West Virginia. It is a lot of fun!

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I started with a 1971 SL70 rusty roller I purchased for $100 that someone had ridden into a tree bending the frame at the neck.

I put a 140 engine on it and 14 inch knobbies front and back. The front end was always in the air and it was quite dangerous like this.

To make the death trap more manageable I put in a 1997 Kawasaki KX80 rear suspension and rear brake. I also put longer shocks up front.

Since SL70 parts cost a fortune and this was going to be something I ride I decided to go with a crf body.

I rode it 70 miles on the Hatfield-McCoy trails in West Virginia. It is a lot of fun!
Awesome project! It turned into a very cool bike.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Got a little work done, new rings, gaskets and seals, painted engine covers and cylinder, going back with all original bolts and nuts, a lot of polishing.

221 - 238 of 238 Posts