PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 234 Posts

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have not seen a "show your SL70" thread, yet. Sort of an in-betweener as far as the forum categories, 14" rear wheel would put it in the mid-size category, but definitely a classic honda mini IMO. So maybe this is not the place, but come on, Geezer, Razzo, and others I've seen your SL's here and there, lets put them all together. 1971 SL70, before, after, and in mock-up.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I wish we had a SL only section.You got me at a bad time! My bike is not done and im having computer problems with my pics coming out upside down. I cant hang with you and razzo yet, but i want to build a SL flattracker "like the 50" rolling on 14s and also a street build. SLs rock!

·
Registered
887 Posts
Have not seen a "show your SL70" thread, yet. Sort of an in-betweener as far as the forum categories, 14" rear wheel would put it in the mid-size category, but definitely a classic honda mini IMO. So maybe this is not the place, but come on, Geezer, Razzo, and others I've seen your SL's here and there, lets put them all together. 1971 SL70, before, after, and in mock-up.
I don't know Davmo, it feels real similar to the whole debate that lead to the "Classic 50's of the month" category. They are horizontal head based engines, so I don't see a problem with you putting your question here. That finished flat tracker is really cool looking and don't think there aren't guys in this thread that don't wish they had something like that to use their motors on. I will say I am one of them.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know Davmo, it feels real similar to the whole debate that lead to the "Classic 50's of the month" category. They are horizontal head based engines, so I don't see a problem with you putting your question here. That finished flat tracker is really cool looking and don't think there aren't guys in this thread that don't wish they had something like that to use their motors on. I will say I am one of them.
Thanks, Dan-o. I just really love these bikes, man. Really lightweight, put a strong engine in, decent tires, and hold on. Even the stock model feels surprisingly strong with the original gearing. That flat tracker has a 110cc with a 28mm mikuni flat slide. Haven't really been anywhere with it that I could really get on it, but I have been terrorizing the neighborhood.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Tmas!!! I THREW it together to test brakes, engine,ect. I have to tweek pipe and fenders. Bike feels smooth and FAST!
Hey Geezer, I know you said it needs paint, but it looks pretty cool with that tank just the way it is. I like how it makes it look like it might be some regular Honda bike from the '70's, if you don't look too close.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Davmo, What rear tire is that? I am going to build a real dirt track racer "like the 50". Most dirt trackers run the same size tires front and rear. It looks like something that would work. Super nice build you have!!

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Davmo, What rear tire is that? I am going to build a real dirt track racer "like the 50". Most dirt trackers run the same size tires front and rear. It looks like something that would work. Super nice build you have!!

The rear tire is an IRC Brand SS-560R The size is 100/90-14. The rims, front and back,as well as brake components are from a 2001 CR80. The rear wheel is the same width as the stock SL70 swingarm, so it's a straight fit. You just have to figure how to hold your caliper. I can give details on it if you need. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

·
Registered
40 Posts
few modifications for the 88cc semi auto french championship....

10/12 rims
new triple clamp
honda 88cc semi auto

i will post new pictures soon

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Scratchidesighn,That bike makes ya smile all day long!!Thats the original SL Slayer! Best old sckool build around!Great build man! Im going to get the decals off my forks and get that fender too.. My bike suspension feels crazy good so far.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Midlothian racer SL70 front end questions

Just had another question regarding the SL70 wheels and front end parts. The front end is uses stock fork sliders and lowers. The tripletree bottom and top clamp were widened 6mm by cutting it and rewelding them. The wheels, brakes, calipers, spacers and controls are all from a 2001 Honda CR80.The rear swingarm is the right width, and doesn't have to be widened. The rear wheel uses the original CR80 mount for the caliper, with some of the useless part cut off. An aluminum plate was made that is keyed to the square portion of the caliper bracket (this is actually the rear spacer on the right side in the stock set-up.) The other part of the aluminum plate has a lip that hangs over the bottom edge of the swingarm bracket. You can see two socket head screws sticking out of it in the picture of the rear end. That keeps the caliper from spinning. The front bracket was made of steel, and uses the screw mounts for the fork brace. Would anyone be interested in a retrospective build thread on this bike? Pics below of stock versus modded parts.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 234 Posts