PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone out here on the board please give me some dimensions of the Grom forks?

1. Clamping diameter at top
2. Clamping diameter at bottom
3. Total length from top to axle center
4. Axle diameter

Info is greatly appreciated...thanks.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Can someone out here on the board please give me some dimensions of the Grom forks?

1. Clamping diameter at top
2. Clamping diameter at bottom
3. Total length from top to axle center
4. Axle diameter

Info is greatly appreciated...thanks.
Si units or us customary?

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right on when I get out of class I'll pull some specs for you

Awesome...any chance I can get you to throw a tape on it as well with a picture? know that's a lot to ask...but I do need to see where the taper is. On a honda ct70, the area for the lower clamping will be about 1.5"-2" lower on the fork tube than on a grom. So actually, can you make sure of that measurement as well please just in case the diameter is different?

I was out running errands today and I went to the honda shop packing my caliper and they didn't have any groms on the floor. Then I went down to service and they didn't have one in for service either, otherwise I wouldn't ask...really appreciate it!

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Awesome...any chance I can get you to throw a tape on it as well with a picture? know that's a lot to ask...but I do need to see where the taper is. On a honda ct70, the area for the lower clamping will be about 1.5"-2" lower on the fork tube than on a grom. So actually, can you make sure of that measurement as well please just in case the diameter is different?

I was out running errands today and I went to the honda shop packing my caliper and they didn't have any groms on the floor. Then I went down to service and they didn't have one in for service either, otherwise I wouldn't ask...really appreciate it!

Top clamp diameter
ForumRunner_20151201_194222.png

Bottom clamp diameter
ForumRunner_20151201_194231.png

Overall length of fork from top of fork to center of bolt
ForumRunner_20151201_194238.png

I wasn't sure exactly how you wanted this measurement. I figured this view will be able to get you what you need to know by calcing if it's not right. Measurement is taken from top of the fork the start line is the beginning of the bottom clamp diameter and the end line is the end of the bottom clamp diameter
ForumRunner_20151201_194255.png

You didn't ask for this measurement but figured it may be useful in calculating if my above picture isn't exactly what you where looking for.
ForumRunner_20151201_194303.png

And lastly the diameter of wheel bolt is 12mm.

Let me know if i kissed anything

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
don't happen to have a set of fastace sitting in a set of clamps do you? I need different dimensions from that one.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Don't know if this might interest you. There's some from forklegs on eBay.271853815791http://m.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-GROM-125-2014-15-FRONT-FORKS-TUBE-300-MILES-GREAT-CONDITION-/271853815791?nav=SEARCH

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Chad...another question if you dont' mind. What is the offset of a standard fork setup? Also what are the dimensions of the inner to inner at the axle and inner to inner where the fork uppers and lowers come together at the tightest? A standard set of grom trees could potentiall work.

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
There's a couple of potential issues which is why I 'm doing all this research. First, the Grom forks do not look like they have much offset. Standard monkey/ct70 have 40mm and you can buy trees that have 55-60 which slightly extends the wheelbase and moves the tire forward so your bigger engines can clear. Another issue is height. Standard height of zokes is 730mm and not even sure if you can get 650mm anymore. That is way too long for a grom. A standard ct70 fork is 610mm.

Reports of grom forks being too soft are all over, meaning you need to upgrade 300 bucks to make them work well. However, KSR110 forks are available and they are awesome with just adding 10wt oil and preload adjusters in 650mm. Still cost 600 bucks though

I like where this is going...

Once my new Grom wheels come in I'll be building a set of clamps for Zoke forks.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
There's a couple of potential issues which is why I 'm doing all this research. First, the Grom forks do not look like they have much offset. Standard monkey/ct70 have 40mm and you can buy trees that have 55-60 which slightly extends the wheelbase and moves the tire forward so your bigger engines can clear. Another issue is height. Standard height of zokes is 730mm and not even sure if you can get 650mm anymore. That is way too long for a grom. A standard ct70 fork is 610mm.

Reports of grom forks being too soft are all over, meaning you need to upgrade 300 bucks to make them work well. However, KSR110 forks are available and they are awesome with just adding 10wt oil and preload adjusters in 650mm. Still cost 600 bucks though
Well mine are going on a KLX 110 frame with Grom wheels (need more width than standard zoke clamps).
But I had a buddy who was wanting me to try and make some clamps for his Grom to fit Zokes. So all this is good info.

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Well mine are going on a KLX 110 frame with Grom wheels (need more width than standard zoke clamps).
But I had a buddy who was wanting me to try and make some clamps for his Grom to fit Zokes. So all this is good info.
Well, i'd be interested in a set of clamps if you are making them. With klx frame, you def want to extend the offset to like 55mm and you could retain the stock width of grom forks to fit the zokes. I'd love a set...I'd put in a set of 650mm fast ace shocks and rock them on a CT. The invert forks available for cts today are not only junky legs, but are too wide on the trees and ruin the aesthetics. a set that is about 210 center to center would be about perfect on a ct or klx. Assume you are going for 3 or 3.5" wide wheels yes?

update: i redid all my calculations. For a set of fast ace forks, tree center line to center line should be about 185mm for a ct70. Stock pitbike is 163mm.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Well, i'd be interested in a set of clamps if you are making them. With klx frame, you def want to extend the offset to like 55mm and you could retain the stock width of grom forks to fit the zokes. I'd love a set...I'd put in a set of 650mm fast ace shocks and rock them on a CT. The invert forks available for cts today are not only junky legs, but are too wide on the trees and ruin the aesthetics. a set that is about 210 center to center would be about perfect on a ct or klx. Assume you are going for 3 or 3.5" wide wheels yes?
Yes 3" front 4" rear. My plan is to have the forks use the stock width wheel and spacers, not sure where that will leave the center-center spacing yet. My parts should be here by the end of the year.
I have a set of 650 Zokes that were revalved by Shane at Velocity. They are left over from my MM race bikes. I could part with them as I don't think I'll be using them on my Grom Killer.

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes 3" front 4" rear. My plan is to have the forks use the stock width wheel and spacers, not sure where that will leave the center-center spacing yet. My parts should be here by the end of the year.
I have a set of 650 Zokes that were revalved by Shane at Velocity. They are left over from my MM race bikes. I could part with them as I don't think I'll be using them on my Grom Killer.
I've done a lot of measuring and thinking when it comes to forks swaps and there is really only 1 critical dimension that makes or breaks your whole deal...and that is the internal to internal distance between the forks at the area fat where the uppers and lowers come together. Your tire needs to be able to clear through there (and your fender if you mount it that way.

That said, the most critical dimensions other than the length you want you need to calculate your fit is going to be (if all you have are the forks themselves) is the diameter of the fork legs and the width of the axle mounting areas...then you can work backwards and make the trees exactly to your liking. Make them too wide and the bike looks like crap. Make them too narrow and you have clearance problems.

That said, I have determined that a set of KSR110 forks will mount on a monkey or dax, using the standard g'craft 181mm trees up to a 4"wide tire using either the stock ct70 hub converted for disc or the stock monkey hub converted for disc. That is a 4" wide tire on a max 3" rim

The grom forkset will work as well, provided you swap out the stem for a monkey. No need to even swap out tree sizes as they will clear the same 4"wide tire on a 2.75 wide rim

The fast ace and zokes are in about the same boat as the grom. You cannot use the trees that come with them as they make it to narrow. You can't use the ones that come with the skyteam aftermarket ct70 stuff...they are too wide. YOu need something else. That's what I want to determine next. I gut tells me that a standard 179mm spacing will cut it extremely close because they are slightly wider than groms.

Can you take measurements of your zokes? I'll need the following:
Upper Clamping Area
Lower Clamping Area - and taper measurement like Chad did so you can see where the trees can slide
Diameter at the fattest point where uppers and lowers come together
Thickness of the axle mounting area.

With those, I can understand exactly how wide the triple trees need to be for my application...i'll know all critical dimensions. I'd be willing to buy the forks if you can make the tree to run them...;)

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Chad...another question if you dont' mind. What is the offset of a standard fork setup? Also what are the dimensions of the inner to inner at the axle and inner to inner where the fork uppers and lowers come together at the tightest? A standard set of grom trees could potentiall work.
Want the the fork measurement on centers or on the inside of each fork

1 - 20 of 33 Posts