PlanetMinis Forums banner

s65 how to connect new battery to wire harness?

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  davmo 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I know this sounds like a stupid question but I just bought a 68 s65 in good shape. Im getting everything moving again - motor, wheels etc. The bike did not come with a battery so I can't figure out where the positive and negative wires go. I bought a Yuasa 6N2A-2C 6 vt battery. I don't think I have ever has a 6 vt battery before and this battery has a red wire coming from the hot + side that goes into a fuse housing and from there it goes into a 4 prong wire clip or "harness" From the negative side there is a blue wire that goes into that same clip. In that clip there are 4 male prongs that could fit into a 4 prong female end but the 65 doesnt have anything like that.

All I see on the bike end is a wire with one half of a fuse housing so I'm assuming I can connect the hot side of the battery with a fuse housing to that? Correct? I have no clue where the negative side of the battery goes? Am I supposed to cut the 4 prong connector off of the end and connect that wire somewhere? If so where? I don't see any open connectors in the wire harness.

This is the last thing I thought I would struggle with on this project!! LOL

Thanks for any advise!!
Dan

See less See more
#3 ·
Hey guys, I know this sounds like a stupid question but I just bought a 68 s65 in good shape. Im getting everything moving again - motor, wheels etc. The bike did not come with a battery so I can't figure out where the positive and negative wires go. I bought a Yuasa 6N2A-2C 6 vt battery. I don't think I have ever has a 6 vt battery before and this battery has a red wire coming from the hot + side that goes into a fuse housing and from there it goes into a 4 prong wire clip or "harness" From the negative side there is a blue wire that goes into that same clip. In that clip there are 4 male prongs that could fit into a 4 prong female end but the 65 doesnt have anything like that.

All I see on the bike end is a wire with one half of a fuse housing so I'm assuming I can connect the hot side of the battery with a fuse housing to that? Correct? I have no clue where the negative side of the battery goes? Am I supposed to cut the 4 prong connector off of the end and connect that wire somewhere? If so where? I don't see any open connectors in the wire harness.

This is the last thing I thought I would struggle with on this project!! LOL

Thanks for any advise!!
Dan
The ground from the battery should connect to the frame. Honda used green wire as a ground on most harnesses from this era. I would look for a green wire coming off the harness in the battery compartment. It will most likely be connecting to the frame with a screw. This would be the best place to attach your battery negative. If you see a green wire hanging loose with a brass loop connector, that is the one. You are correct about the hot wire connection.

#6 · (Edited)
The Clymer wiring schematic for the S65 can be found HERE
This schematic looks wacky to me!!! The battery leads cannot be correct in this diagram, and appear to be reversed. Just look at the horn circuit. It has a ground wire leading to the horn, and the other side of the circuit is A GROUND WIRE! Aside from British bikes, a fuse is rarely used on the negative wire instead of the positive wire, like in this diagram. A picture of the actual harness may answer these questions, but my bet is that someone was into the booze when they drew this diagram. Looking at the diagram in the manual posted above by Gary S (on page 122,) it appears to be a correct diagram.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.