PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
atc70 that sort of survived a fire. She still runs at least. So rebuilding her from the frame up for the kiddos.

Untitled.png

Everything is a rusted mess so lots of time with the wire wheel.

IMG_20191115_180007225.jpg

IMG_20191115_182006102.jpg

IMG_20191116_172421440.jpg

IMG_20191117_161639456.jpg

IMG_20191117_151258310.jpg

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Awesome to see you saving this one!

I have started thinking about an ATC70 project. They look so cool and also like too much fun.

I'll be watching this build for sure.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sweet ripper. I’ll be following along. Looking forward to seeing the final product.

That side cover turned out great. Did you just wire wheel and then polish or step it up in between? What kind of polish and wheel do you use?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! I use the harbor freight polisher wheels and rouge's mostly.

Process I normally follow: with thourough cleaning between steps. (Do not use anything with amonia for cleaning aluminum. It dulls it.)

-big stuff with wire wheel
- scoff pad and mother's mag polish
-cutter cloth wheel(tight nit) and black rouge (at this step in the pic)
- tight nit softer cloth with red rouge
-real soft wheel with white rouge
(At this point you should be able to see the color of your eyes with ease)
- very soft while no nit and no rouge
(Makes it like a mirror)
-clear coat in a can. Dulls it a bit but keeps it nice for a long time.

Currently waiting on a grab bar and heel guards from a guy in the UK.

Drum cover from a guy in Puerto Rico and then off to powder coat. Thinking bright red frame and forks with white fenders and blue seat.

Have some light weight trx90 aluminum rims drilled to match 200x hub pattern
200x hubs (gives it another 1.5" extension)
Duro arrow rear wheels. Having a hell of a time finding a front tire to match so might go with thrashers.
New throttle
New brake cable
New brakes
All new stainless hardware.

Need to clean the engine up still and on the fence about an 88cc cylinder. Mostly want it for extra cooling.(dune riding) But don't think my 55lb 5 year old needs the extra power..

Also still up in the air on handle bars.

Any tips or suggestions on anything and everything are most welcome! 🤔😁

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I'll be following your progress also. I have one that I hope to ride this winter. I just got my order from Spanglers yesterday.

IMG_20191121_154535335.jpg

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll be following your progress also. I have one that I hope to ride this winter. I just got my order from Spanglers yesterday.

View attachment 270436
Looks like it is going to be an awesome build! I have the foot pegs on my atc70 110 swap and they are great. Spanglers is also 25 minutes away from me.

And pro-tip add all the stuff you want to your ebay cart and wait for the 10-20% off coupons. Helps take out some of the sting. Also gets you a lifan 125 for 170$ shipped. :D

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Been slowly making progress. Started cleaning up the engine and ran into all kinds of problems from broken off bolts on the intake and exhaust to the threads on the end of the crank being broken off.. So using my backup engine instead. and heading to the powdercoater today.

Any tips or suggestions on the ebay stator that gets rid of the points and condensor? 100$ Seems steep for a chinese part, but thinking it will be worth it to get away from constantly having to clean the points. (ride through way too many puddles)

IMG_20191215_165847865.jpg

End of the crank is busted off. Last owner had a small bolt going inside the crank and some washers holding the flywheel on.
IMG_20191215_154633084.jpg

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Making some progress.

New oil pump installed:

Close up of the high volume pump.

New stator installed (if you order one make sure and order a new center seal and oring)

Original 35 year old piston and head. I dont think the engine has ever been apart.

And the damn exhaust studs are broken! Going to try drilling them out.. But might just buy a 20$ atc70 head off ebay and hope for the best.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Parts back from powder coating! Used brazing aluminum rod to fill in and re-tap the exhaust studs. So far its working well. Have one last order of small oem parts coming and I should have everything I need to get her finished up.

*Pro-tip make sure and let the powder coater know not to coat the inside of the brake drum where the brakes rub. :)

IMG_20200131_141951123.jpg

IMG_20200128_185711741.jpg

IMG_20200201_090355213.jpg

IMG_20200201_102939522.jpg

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looking good! Always so great to see one brought back to its former glory!
Much better then former glory! Lol

Now onto the tuning.. she idles great but the power just isn't there and stumbles. No matter how much I mess with the air screw.( She runs the best at 3.5 turns out) Anyone have to change jetting in the stock carb with the 88cc kit and mesh flame arrestor? Or can I get away with changing the needle clip?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Woke up this morning and remembered that anytime I have messed with the carb it always ran like sh1t without the stock air cleaner/box. So put it back on and she runs ok now. No more stumbling flat spots. But also no real power. Has less power then it did as a stock 70.

Are you all setting the valves at .002 like the book says or .003/4? I set mine at .003.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts