PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok im about to install a rim lock on my stock crf50 wheel and was wanting to know the best place to put the rim lock in.Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i put mine close to 90 degree have heard that is a good spot for the lock to be and if u look its like that on big bikes too so hope its gonna work as it should work in any position if u think about it lol

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Nope wont work in any position... You want that rim lock IN FRONT of the valve stem when the wheel is rotating forward. I would drill the hole several inches from the valve stem hole. Just make sure that the rim lock is in front of the valve stem ;)

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mine is behind the valve hole a s it is on big bikes so im sure this has got be be good or the big bikes would have em before the valve stem hole right cause there puttin out alotof hp compared to pit bikes right or wrong thats the reason i put it behind the valve stem lol

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i understand about runnin it before the valve hole but tell me why kawaskai,suzuki,honda,and ktm run it behind the valve hole thers got to be a reason why top manufactuers run them behind the valve hole but either way will work cause all the rim lock does is hold the tire to the rim tight from spinning on the rim under hard acceleration.I know running it close to the valve hole is the best either way i dont understand why some people would run it 180 degrees from the valve hole but i do know before or after the valve hole will both be benificial.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
matter of a fact i believe the front rim lock is before the valve stem and the rear is after the valve stem at least i know it is on kawasaki 250f's.So i belive it should work either way.If not theres got to be a reason why the back is behind the valve stem,Thanks for ur help tho

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Trust me you wanna hold the tire before the valve stem. If you rotate your wheel in the direction of travel, you want the rim lock to be in front of the valve stem. It's also better to have the rim lock 90 degrees or closer to the valve stem. It's better to lock the tire right in front of the valve stem then to have it 180 degrees out..

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ya mine is like little over 45 degrees away from valve stem but u still not answering my question why do the big manufactuers of high hp engines make there bikes with the rear rim lock after the valve stem in the back tire and before the valve stem on th front rim.My understanding is if its within 90 degrees or less it will work good before or after the valve stem cause it does nothing but hold the tire to the rim so before or after willdo the same thing right,Im just wondering where u are getting this from when u can look on any big bike that puts out a ass load of hp compared to pit bikes from factory and the way im explainin is the way they come from there factory and the rim lock is opposite on both wheels and i alreay did mine yesterday as i went from looking on my big bike im juat asking why does kawi do this the way i did but its not the right way to u or will work better in front of the valve stem when if u really think about it it should work either way as long as its within 90 degrees lol

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
dude thats the way i got it turn ur wheel and put the valve stem on the ground and the rim lock is behind the valve stem lol so i think were confused on front and back lol

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
lol.. yeah with the wheel in the direction of travel, rolling forward, the rim lock is always in front of the valve stem.

And on real high horsepower bikes they run a rim lock on both sides of the valve stem :D

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Do it like phatfiddy is telling you.

Ive done all mine exactly the same.

Phatfiddy also did one of my buddys a while back work perfect justl lke that.

My excell wheel cam pre drilled for a rim lock and it was in that same position.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
oh i already did it the same fiddy4ever lol we was just placing our valve stems in different spots i was talikin if u had ur valve stem at the bootm of wheel on the ground it would be behind the valve stem then if u turn the wheel with the valve stem at the top of the wheel its in front of the valve stem so we got confused lol which if i would have just said its always in front of valve stem if ur turning wheel in the way it would rotate while ridin the bike lol so ya we are on the same page.Dude it was such a b**** to get the new tire on this 10 inch wheel with a rim lock but got it lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts