PlanetMinis Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
The coils in the stator are both grounded to the engine case. I guess that I think of the engine case as ground/earth.
The primary coil is one winding that powers the spark plug...ignition. One end of that winding is grounded to the engine case, and the other end goes out to the ignition coil.

The lighting coil is actually kinda like 2 windings...
It is center tapped so there are 2 different "hot" wires that come from that coil. One of them goes out to power up the headlight circuit. It is AC power. That circuit uses the frame/engine/earth to return power back to the stator.

The 2nd circuit from the lighting coil goes thru the rectifier, where it's rectified to DC power, then goes to the battery.
Without staring at a diagram...I'm not sure how that power goes out to stuff. But I think it goes from the battery, to the ignition switch, where it gets sent to the lighting depending on the switch position. I believe the battery - (negative) goes straight to the switch too, and the switch...switches it...lol...on and off/connected or disconnected to the battery.

Look at your wiring schematic...is there a switch diagram too?? Tells you what the switch is doing in each position..?

The HL circuit is AC power, direct from the stator.
The battery circuit is DC, from the battery.

Studying the wire diagram, you can trace each one thru...and sort out how they switch in the ignition switch and the dimmer switch, etc.

This is all MY take on things. If I'm giving you bad info, hopefully someone will chime in and let us know.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
The coils in the stator are both grounded to the engine case. I guess that I think of the engine case as ground/earth.
The primary coil is one winding that powers the spark plug...ignition. One end of that winding is grounded to the engine case, and the other end goes out to the ignition coil.

The lighting coil is actually kinda like 2 windings...
It is center tapped so there are 2 different "hot" wires that come from that coil. One of them goes out to power up the headlight circuit. It is AC power. That circuit uses the frame/engine/earth to return power back to the stator.

The 2nd circuit from the lighting coil goes thru the rectifier, where it's rectified to DC power, then goes to the battery.
Without staring at a diagram...I'm not sure how that power goes out to stuff. But I think it goes from the battery, to the ignition switch, where it gets sent to the lighting depending on the switch position. I believe the battery - (negative) goes straight to the switch too, and the switch...switches it...lol...on and off/connected or disconnected to the battery.

Look at your wiring schematic...is there a switch diagram too?? Tells you what the switch is doing in each position..?

The HL circuit is AC power, direct from the stator.
The battery circuit is DC, from the battery.

Studying the wire diagram, you can trace each one thru...and sort out how they switch in the ignition switch and the dimmer switch, etc.

This is all MY take on things. If I'm giving you bad info, hopefully someone will chime in and let us know.
There are CT70 diagrams showing the blue battery wire being connected to ground in the second and third positions, but have not been able to find the one for the Z50 K1. Betting this is the case.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Let me say two things.
1) You two chaps are extremely patient with a newbie, and 2) you are super knowledgeable of the workings of these bikes, Bravo! and thank you. 👍

@ kirrbby
You illuminated the light bulb in my grey mass by posting the wire schematic. I have been using this exact schematic, however it is a download from the web and is a bit furry I when printed it out.
I could not clearly see the ( + / - ) symbols indicated, (BAT) within the switch mechanism diagram. (below) Now that I see these it all makes sense.

I suppose had I had a switch in hand I may have stumbled on this sooner, by luck no doubt, but this conversation has served as an education for me. :cool:

I have made a note to myself to procure some proper technical literature for this little bike to help me through the re assembly of my box of bits.

I have no doubt I will be calling on you all again.

Mega thanks to you and davmo

B

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I want to close out this thread.
The electrics are now making sense to me.
I received a new ignition key switch in the post. My bench test 6v lantern battery, when hooked up, the keyswitch connected all lit up & circuits buzzed out as should. Appears my harness is a runner.
I appreciate the technical guidance I received.
You chaps are the best! :cool:

B

Attachments

21 - 26 of 26 Posts