PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you register your bikes?

Do you have to register them with the DMV?

Do they have a pink slip?

I just purchased a used bike of a guy but he never registered it. It does not have a pink slip, just a bill of sale.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Be careful when buying a used modded bike ... vin # need to match frame to engine if you are trying to get a sticker for it. If frame or engine have been swapped you will need the original parts to take in to an inspection site (CHP) and explain what parts have been upgraded to get a special build vin put on your bike. Custom built 50's without documentation are tricky out here in Nor Cal... the OHV rangers just love to check the reg and threaten to confiscate.

Reserectedmxr-

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just started the registration process today at the DMV. DMV never heard of a Thumpstar before nor did they have my bike in the system. Previous owner never registered. Have to take it to CHP next for VIN verification. Hope all works out well!!!

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Jimi86 said:
what if you build it up from scratch? new frame, motor, and so on?

I need to register my bike.

Make sure you get recepts for all the parts,they will want to see where the parts came from

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
Jimi86 said:
what if you build it up from scratch? new frame, motor, and so on?

I need to register my bike.

I built a scratch bike...Tech5 frame and SDG motor...if you have an MSO for the fram that helps but it is not required...have all receipts from where and who you purchased items from..that is your bill of sale so to speak...take completed bike to DMV and they will inspect it and have you take it to the CHP and they will inspect it and put their own ID tag on it and then it is back to the DMV..so about $75 l8tr you will have a green sticker and a title on the way...it will be listed on the title as special construction...it takes a little legwork but it is worth it

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I finally got the bike registered. That took quite a bit more work than I invisioned. DMV, get back in touch with seller to notorize statement, CHP verification, prove to the CHP that it was a CARB approved bike, back to the DMV. Hopefully it will add some value to the bike. Ended up with a red sticker. But I do have a title on the way though.:smile:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.