PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new here, this is my first post.

I just got an 04 CRF70 for my daughter. She started out on an electric burromax and rode that for a year, this is her first gasser. The bike is in pretty good shape overall but I want to go through it and make it be 100% so I know everything will be good for her, and then for my second daughter when the time comes. What I was thinking of replacing:
  • Brake lever and cable (perch for lever is cracked)
  • Fork seals/oil (one is leaking)
  • Front and rear brakes (Don't know if these really need to be replaced but for $16 why not)
  • Throttle and cable (the bike seems a little sluggish, will this help?)
  • Clean carb
  • Plastics, grips, graphics (just to make it more personalized for her)
Anything else worth doing? The bike already has protaper bars and a bbr exhaust (which is too loud IMO but oh well). Any reason to replace the rear shock or fork springs? They are 17 years old, but don't appear to have a whole lot of hours on them.

Also, what are the best sites to get parts for the CRF70?

Thanks

·
Registered
1970 CT70
97 Posts
Howdy! For your bike your best bet would probably be tbolt. As far as sluggish goes, clean the carb real good and then adjust the 2 screws to the proper turns. Can’t remember off the top of my head, but someone will probably chime in with them. Lots of good information from tbolt too. If you’re gonna do brakes, take a look at the sprockets and chain. If you see any “shark fin” looking teeth on the sprocket it’s probably a safe bet that they need replaced. Don’t worry, you’ll be able to tell! You could try one of the generic repacking kits from eBay, or tbolt may even have one that isn’t bike specific if you look. Fast50s are also decent, I just haven’t personally shopped them as much.
Welcome again, and I’m so sorry you’ve just made the biggest mistake ever in deciding to fix up an old mini. Either you or your daughter is gonna be hooked for life! That’s ok tho cause there’s lotsa parts to make these bikes more big kid friendly haha!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Howdy! For your bike your best bet would probably be tbolt. As far as sluggish goes, clean the carb real good and then adjust the 2 screws to the proper turns. Can’t remember off the top of my head, but someone will probably chime in with them. Lots of good information from tbolt too. If you’re gonna do brakes, take a look at the sprockets and chain. If you see any “shark fin” looking teeth on the sprocket it’s probably a safe bet that they need replaced. Don’t worry, you’ll be able to tell! You could try one of the generic repacking kits from eBay, or tbolt may even have one that isn’t bike specific if you look. Fast50s are also decent, I just haven’t personally shopped them as much.
Welcome again, and I’m so sorry you’ve just made the biggest mistake ever in deciding to fix up an old mini. Either you or your daughter is gonna be hooked for life! That’s ok tho cause there’s lotsa parts to make these bikes more big kid friendly haha!
Thanks for the reply! Some guy saw us riding it up and down our street and doubled back to tell me he has a 70 He's trying to sell. I got his phone number I'm thinking about buying it for myself lol. I've got a DRZ400, but it would be fun to have a mini for myself!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts