PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriends son is really small. He is really quick on minis, but needs something a little bigger. He had a kx65, but preferred riding my bbr super pro +5 with a TB117. I would like to put him on another 4 stroke and dont have much experience with mid sized bikes.

Would you suggest a lxr155 or something like the crf150r? What are the pro's and con's. Obviously one is a honda, but which is easier to ride quickly, handles better, weight, etc. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
buy the Honda....yeah , the China bike is cheaper but he will get more use and fun out of the Honda and it has better resale value

·
Banned
1 Posts
If he plans on racing, and doing well, the foo-foo based bikes really wouldn't suit him, especially if he's a smaller rider. The 30+LB weight difference over a 150R is more than the extra displacement of a Chinese interpretation of a 40 year old designed motor can make up. A 14/17 150R is about the fastest way around, if your track lets them run with the minis. It's a legitimate racer. Otherwise, an 85cc dinger is the best bang for the buck in the business. Cheaper to rebuild and maintain, too.

Now, if budget, size and weight are a factor, and you want new, this might be worth looking in to. Smoothest, broadest torque curve, top-shelf components throughout, and the best importer support in the pitbike industry, with numerous hop up parts available from Daytona. There's a reason many of the top riders run the Daytona engine:

Piranha Daytona 150 Eliminator

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
Yep FPM hit it on the nose...if you are gonna go Chinese, that 150 Eliminator would be the way to go,,,,,,but if ya got the extra cabbage,,,go with a tried and true higher quality machine from the land of Japan...were standards never falter

·
Registered
102 Posts
I am in the same boat. Small 13yr. is moving from a mod suspension KLX110 (for sale, 65 size) to a 150F or R. If you get the CRF150R get the big wheel and buy small wheels with a drop link. Together it will lower the bike 2.5” or so. 85’s are nice to race but trail or HS becomes hard on the rider. Our bikes are dual purpose (race & trail) and need to be great at both. Add in my son love to jump, suspension is high on the list. CRF150F is a great bike but racing is limited where the CRF150R is open to supermini and up classes. Pay now or pay later!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts