PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
who uses a rear hand brake? it doesn't matter if it is a hub/brake combo or just a hand brake. Do you like it? how long did it take you to get used to it? Notice anything about braking later on right hand turns (etc. )? i was thinking about getting one but i don't know if i would like it. i don't think i'll get a new clutch so thats not a problem.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I absolutely love mine. I'm also an avid MTB racer and so I'm quite accustomed to the hand brake thing. As a matter of fact, I've got my brakes routed backwards in the eyes of MX racers. My rear hand brake is on the right and my front on the left. I find myself able to go into corners faster and grab a big handful of brake later into the corner (especially on right turns).

Also, I race with my big gunboat MX boots on and I have a bitch of a time bending my right foot enough to apply the rear brake.

I am running a proto type clamp from the guys at PRC. It was made after I requested on for the square tubed aftermarket swingarms. Jim at PRC made one in a couple days and sent it to me. I have pictures in my gallery of the mounting. Very clean and very functional.

Good luck with your decision.

Rick

·
Registered
103 Posts
sixsixsix posted a how-to-rig-up-a-handbrake thread a little while ago-see if you can find it and have a look. i did this because i couldnt lock up the rear with the pedal. i kept the pedal and installed the handbrake and it is wicked. way easier than trying to reach that gammin pedal when you are all over the place

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i read that post a few days ago. i rigged one up like that but i have not had a chance to ride it in the daytime. at night you can't really tell how it works. i'll probably just wait until i have a chance to ride it. thanks for the input.

·
Registered
579 Posts
FiddyFanatic said:
I absolutely love mine. I'm also an avid MTB racer and so I'm quite accustomed to the hand brake thing. As a matter of fact, I've got my brakes routed backwards in the eyes of MX racers. My rear hand brake is on the right and my front on the left. I find myself able to go into corners faster and grab a big handful of brake later into the corner (especially on right turns).

Also, I race with my big gunboat MX boots on and I have a bitch of a time bending my right foot enough to apply the rear brake.

I am running a proto type clamp from the guys at PRC. It was made after I requested on for the square tubed aftermarket swingarms. Jim at PRC made one in a couple days and sent it to me. I have pictures in my gallery of the mounting. Very clean and very functional.

Good luck with your decision.

Rick

i rid mtb too and was tthinking of running them both rear on the left. so i can modulate trottle/shift der. and have my right free for braking. it is going to be a big change for me but a lot of dhers do it.

·
Registered
579 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
ya my i haven;t had a chance to ride with my rear hand break that i riged up from SIXSIXSIX but i made a special lil thing to hold my cable instead of just a hose clamp. i got the perch from the MTB i took the cable off of, cut it up a bit and it holds the cable and the hose clamp holds whats left of the perch. i'll get pics once my bike is togther.ROB.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i rigged up a clutch perch on my swingarm to hold the cable. i just rode with it and i can't make up my mind. it helps some but in some cases i don't like it. i'll just have to think about it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.