PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well here is the problem i was going to sell my engine and buy the rc86 but they are out of stock .{thats what they said when i called}...So i have to wait untill 1st week of july ....by that time i could have alomst enough to build a 88se...what do you think total cost of a 88se would be..and would you build that or just wait for rc86?

it will be going in a bbr superpro frame along with some new sp5s...

Thanks in advance Nick

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Wait for the RC motor. The RC motor will be plenty fast out of the box, and then with the probably $1,000 extra of goodies you can add to it will end up being faster than a 88se. And the RC motors are pretty reliable, close to that of a stock Honda motor. Only one ive even seen anything go wrong to is DirtySouth's and he warped a valve seat or soemthing on it from over heating it but im sure that if something did happen to yours Vince stands behind all his stuff and would nearly jump to help you.

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
Here's my take on the subjec with a couple of price comparisons.

From the sounds of people's reports, the Kitaco 88SE appears to be one of the fastest combos on the market. I'd love to see a dyno graph to see how much power the motor is putting down without rumors and heresay.

You'll need:

88SE Kit - Classic Honda or sik50's, or numerous resellers

Uprated oil pump

oil cooler

head beather

uprated clutch (2 plate manual clutch, or Heavy duty automatic clutch at minimum)

20mm Carb (most people run Keihin PC20 when they run kitaco parts)

Performance Pipe

Total estimated cost (without the pipe): $1675-$1800 depending on where you purchase the parts.

Estimated Horsepower: ?? 8-9+ depending on your tuning abilities

Honda Trail Bikes 88cc Performance Kit with race head - comes with 20mm carb

Manual 2 plate clutch kit

uprated oil pump

head breather

oil cooler - optional, but I'll include it here for comparision

Performance Pipe

Total estimated cost (without the pipe) $778

Estimated Horsepower: ?? 8+ depending on your tuning abilities

This does not take into consideration an inner rotor ($300) or the cost of your performance pipe of choice and other misc odds and ends.

It all boils down to what you want to get out of your bike when it's all said and done. Over the next two months, I'll have the following tested on a dyno.

Trail bikes 88cc BBK with Performance head (Race Ported TB head)

20mm Keihin Carb

TB 2 plate manual clutch

lightened engine components (including flywheel and other misc parts)

and I'll be happy to let everyone see the results, along with listing all the modifications.

R Designs JDM race pipe not available here in the states

CF Posh CDI (Rev Box) again, not available here in the US.

Kijima Oil catch tank and engine breather not available here in the US

Total build cost for the motor will be under $900.00 USD.

Gearing, we'll start out with 16/35 and tune from there to get a true top speed on the bike with Sava race tires. I may drop down to a 15T front and tune with the rear, depending how the gearing is affected by the motor work. Doing this out of my own pocket, as I don't own a shop, and don't have any shop affiliation.

I've already built a wacky $$$$ Kitaco motor, and am going old-school with this engine build to see what can be done on a budget.

All in good fun, folks, I'm not starting a debate until after I get the dyno results back. Shooting to have everything done by August at the latest, as I want to break in the motor before it hits the rollers, as most motors increase in HP a small amount after you put some miles on them...

Keep the rubber side down.

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
I know nothing about the RC86 motor, other than If I'm not mistaken, his new motors coming in july will have the clutch off the crank. I can't make judgement unless I run one myself... Probably won't happen in my case, as I like to stick with the Honda 12V gearbox and electronics..

I'm waiting on his 150+cc monster motor that he is dangling about the forums..

If you want the ultimate motor and have unlimited funds, Mad Maexla in Germany will build you a 160cc+ Honda Nice Derived motor

·
Registered
8,631 Posts
im currently building a 88se and i can say its killing my pockets.

sik50's hooked it p with the kit and now lahaye is doing the bottom end.

why would you run a 20mm carb on a 88se???? im running a 24mm carb.

i am 99.9% positive that the 88se will smoke the RC motor and hold up longer if its put in a honda case. yes you can save some money going that way but i really dont think you would want to if your going to build a full race motor.

hardcore racer = 88se

backyard racer = RC86

budget racer = TB 88

thats my .02

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I am a "hardcore" racer too but I am getting a RC86, wanna know why, because I can't afford an 88SE, and there is a lot of "hardcore" racers out there that can't afford one either, or would take them years to save up for one lol

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
do you need a clutch for 88se..along with oil cooler???i was think just do 88se ..but later build it up more?? i dont know that RC86 seems like a good deal.....cant decied..............

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Hey Im a HARDCORE racer as well, but I sure as hell cant afford a 88se or even the RC motor so I run TrailBikes. And TrailBikes is just as fast as a RC86.

·
Registered
8,631 Posts
then you fall into the budget hardcore racer with a TB kit.

you can run stock with a HD clutch kit. you can get away without the oil cooler but you will need it sooner or later. im actually ordering mine from sik50's right now.......well i am if atom would answer me on AIM. that punk is going to la jolla today to practice. work sucks!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.