PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,

i tore apart an 82 (i believe) z50 about 3 years ago because it was skipping in a gear. i found the bad gear immediately but left it in pieces for 3 years haha. anyway, im putting it back together now and i got to the cylinder, and head then got stumped.

i found a couple of gaskets i left in the general area of the head stuff and put one on the cylinder base then put the cylinder on. then i got to the head and now see that there are two more gaskets (round little ones) that look like they go on but i cannot find any that fit, and the one i have left is slightly too big (see pic).

1. how do i identify which little round gasket ring belongs to the cylinder base attaching to the cases?
2. how do i identify which 2 gaskets are needed for the head between the head and cylinder?

the book i have states something about making sure the dowel pins that went on the studs go back onto the same studs. well, 2 pins are still on the studs that were left stuck in the cylinder. but it looks like "maybe" one more pin could fit in a hole? see pic. the book said each year is different so this is why it matters when you disassemble to remember which.

3. how do i determine how many of the head studs need a dowel pin?

some pics are attached of one questionable ring gasket that i dont know where it goes since it doesnt appear to fit in any of the 3 ring areas (2 on the head, 1 under the cylinder), also of some various parts i kept near each other during disassembly.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oops, forgot to ask, is it just those 3 little o-rings from the gasket set? they sure look weaker than the thicker rigid ones i thought i remember going in those 3 areas?

·
Super Moderator
10,324 Posts
Normally, the TB Parts gasket kit has two square-edged o-rings that go between the the lower end and cylinder, and between the cylinder and the head, for the oil return passageway. The OD should be around 16mm for those. There is also a smaller green square-edged o-ring that goes on the lower left engine stud (as you look at it) between the cylinder and the head, for the oil passageway.

It looks like the two rounded o-rings might be for the valve seats.

The collared o-ring you're holding goes between the cylinder and head, for the oil return passageway.

On the lower end, there are two dowel pins on the right side studs, on the head you have them correctly installed on the lower right and upper left studs.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Normally, the TB Parts gasket kit has two square-edged o-rings that go between the the lower end and cylinder, and between the cylinder and the head, for the oil return passageway. The OD should be around 16mm for those. There is also a smaller green square-edged o-ring that goes on the lower left engine stud (as you look at it) between the cylinder and the head, for the oil passageway.

It looks like the two rounded o-rings might be for the valve seats.

The collared o-ring you're holding goes between the cylinder and head, for the oil return passageway.

On the lower end, there are two dowel pins on the right side studs, on the head you have them correctly installed on the lower right and upper left studs.
Good to see some familiar veteran names in the forums still! Thanks. I'll look some more for the rings. Yes it was the square edged thing i thought i was remembering as well. I may need to order some rings. That flat one i am holding is almost too big to fit in the circular area on the head without lifting the gasket up or holding it down and laying sort of on top of it. maybe its worn, its the old one.

i think i have my old parts links somewhere, maybe ill order some stuff from dratv.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts