PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 16 tooth front sprocket. Going up one in the front is like going down 3 in the gear right? So basically a 16/37 would be the same as a 14/31 right? If this is correct..does it matter which way you go? will the torque be the same or does going one way have different affects than the other?

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
With an 88cc with race head, I'd run a 14/31 on 10" wheels for motard racing. On my 108, I run a 15/31, and only my other bike for street use, I run a 16/35 with an 88cc with race head. Both bikes has 10" tires.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
z88R said:
With an 88cc with race head, I'd run a 14/31 on 10" wheels for motard racing. On my 108, I run a 15/31, and only my other bike for street use, I run a 16/35 with an 88cc with race head. Both bikes has 10" tires.

so a 16/37 is like a 14/32? Is there any reason why you would run a stock 14 and change the rear sprocket over changing the front which is much cheaper? Thanks

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
I consider 10" rims/wheels and 10" tires one in the same. My other bike has 8" tires and I have to run a 17/31.

It's all trial and error depending on riding style and motor/engine powerband. Get it close with the front sprocket, and fine tune the output with a rear sprocket.

Run a 16 in the front, and if you still are pulling too much throughout the powerband, drop down to a 36-35 in the rear. I've had 88cc motors that liked taller gearing and some that would fall flat with the taller gearing. My TB88 with funky port work likes the 16/35, and It still feels like I could drop down smaller in the rear. Remember, this is only for pavement...

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
15/35 should kick ass for dirt. I have heard that is one of the best combo's all around. my buddy motards with that gearing and it works well for him, as well as when we ride offraod.

10"tires...10"inch wheels

·
Registered
252 Posts
Motarded said:
15/35 should kick ass for dirt. I have heard that is one of the best combo's all around. my buddy motards with that gearing and it works well for him, as well as when we ride offraod.

10"tires...10"inch wheels

I love my 15/35 setup! :D

and btw, I have a ported head, crower .224 cam, crower piston, cylinder, 20mm mikuni, this is for dirt.

and does anyone know the formula for figuring out the gear ratio? I want to go up in tire size for my motard bike, but I don't know what gearing I should have?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.