PlanetMinis Forums banner

Project Money Pit build thread

7K views 35 replies 5 participants last post by  yarbrouc 
#1 ·
Been out of the game since 2008 and the itch has returned. Parted out the 50's long ago to seek adulthood and the kid in me has returned! After searching Craigslist and Facebook forums for a suitable base I decided to walk into my local Honda dealer. That's right! A minty new 2014 CRF50 that has no clue what she's in for. I loaded her up and took her home. After a quick trip up and down the street annoying the neighbors (and a few Shiners) I started the list. Emailed Ryan at 50stunt.com (whom I've given many a paycheck too with a smile in my face for his amazing parts) with a few questions. Moments later (and a few more Shiners) I had a cart full of goodies. After checking out he emailed confirming all was in stock and being boxed up. His customer service rivals his parts and love of the sport. In a few short days I'll have the first wave of minty fresh parts destined for abuse. I'll post pics when everything arrives and display before and after pics of the molding of a kids bike into a grown mans toy responsible for medical bills across the world.
Stage 1:
Big Bar Kit
Larry Suspension set up
Stage 2 advanced stunt kit with foot loop
street pegs
pirellis (and extra tubes since I know my out of practice ass will pinch tubes)
extended shifter
Sik 50's extended foot brake

This should allow me to comfortably scrub the rust off of the fiddy skills!

Next order will be tb 88 rh kit, hd clutch, extended front brake arm (I forgot this order), and depending on how many Shiners some bling to set her apart. I hope you will share in this frivolous spending and add any advice since I have been away for some time. This is all my ADHD will allow me to type at this time.

See less See more
#10 · (Edited)
Got bored and took all of the factory stickers off (only left the vin I'd sticker on the frame). Now to find some suitable graphics! Since it's minty fresh I don't think I'll be painting or powder coating just yet. Found an 88cc Honda engine decked out so may just pick it up and refinish the cases and keep this stock engine as a spare. Considered a Chinese engine but I want to keep it reliable.

#15 ·
Rushed home from the gym to finish the bars. Rear shock will be in the mailbox tomorrow and I'm doing the forks and tires today. I'll be ready to tear it up with the stock engine Saturday! 88cc engine and the tall seat will be here next week! I'm going to wait on the billet wheels since I've already dug deep to get this far lol.

#20 ·
A meant a vice. It'll make it much easier. The shock shipped separately and will be here today! Monday I'll have my extended front brake arm, billet gas cap and bar ends. Wed I'll have the tall seat and tb 88cc rh engine. I'll play with sprockets then. Took it up the street last night and it's much better! Tires are new so I need to get a little wear on them. First few stoppies almost washed out lol.

#21 ·
Ryan posted install videos on YouTube that will help with the install. Just be sure you pay attention to the orientation of the fork spring ends when you reassemble. I should have opted for the asv levers on both kits but will upgrade when I break them.

#28 ·
Added the bar ends, ext front brake arm, exhaust tip and brake spring last night. Engine and seat may arrive today! Running a spring on both the foot and rear hand brake adds more tension to return providing better feel in both brakes. I like it and have often wondered why an extra spring doesn't come with the kit. The spring is like $2 from dratv so it's a cheap mod.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.