PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well. I seem to have many problems with this superhead. I added it on along with the dome piston. I set the valves and the timing all correctly. For some reason the bike overheats really fast. It also starts running really bad as it heats up. I rode it today for a little while and i actually had motor oil on my airfilter. I dunno how that all worked out. My bike almost seized too. The kickstarted stuck then after it cooled down it started first kick again. I also am noticing oil seeping outta ALL the oil seals. All this from changing the piston and head? I dont have any breather tubes or oil cooler on this head yet, but I'm hoping that, that is indeed the problem. I'm hoping someone else has had a similar problem and can giude me in the right direction. btw it runs fine up until it heats up REALLY fast.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No i installed the oil pump before i installed the new top end. I didn't have this prob with my stock head and the high flow oil pump before i installed this head and piston.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Mabye you should go take it to a shop :lol:

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
- Deff. need the breather tube for the head !!!!

- Hope your using more oil than what stock amount was ?

- ??? Is it pushing alot of back pressure ot of the crank case breather ???

- Did you by chance stuff any small piece of paper towel into the oil flow passages while working on it + forget to remove it before putting it back together ? I had a friend do this once but on his carb and the thing wouldn't start . He felt :oops: as we all stood around for about 1/2 a hour waiting to go riding .

- Your sure all of the ring gaps are staggered ?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i'm gonna recheck the valves later on tonight when i get back home. Also yea I know oil is flowing correctly and that I badly need a head breather. I've got oil seeping out of every spot possible. (the head bolts, between the cylinder and cases,cyclinder and head, the crank breather, the cam chain sprocket bolt,and also my air filter now. i'm for sure the timing is correct but I have to double check the valves. I hoping its just somthing stupid.

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
PIMPINdaHOES said:
SOUNDS LIKE THE MOTOR ISNT VENTING TO ME.

Matt is onto something here. Did you happen to pinch the vent line at the back of the motor when it was removed, or is something plugging up the vent line or breather at the back of the motor?

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Thats what Ive been thinking as Ive read this thread to. There is only one thing on these bikes that will cause them to force seals out like that its if they are not venting. Sounds like the motor is getting hot and building up pressure and all the pressure since it has nowhere to go is hindering the oil flow which is then making it heat up and well causing all of these problems. You definetly need to check to see you are venting the crank pressure, as I think that is the cause of all of these problems.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Heres an update on my current situation. I've now got a kitaco oil cooler on my bike, but as I took off my side cover i notice its different then the stock one.

the stock one is on the right the one that came with my head on the left.

I noticed it kinda routes the oil differently and through a tiny hole that goes through the bigger center hole. Maybe not enough oil was circulating through my head and that in turn made more pressure and run a lot hotter.

This is my setup now. Gonna try to go riding tomorrow. Only took a couple runs up and down my street so far but the head definatly felt a lot cooler then it was before. (I still need the tappet breather though).

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well I bought it off ebay from the user "bayseo" who sells many performance heads through ebay. He does live a distance and did say that there would be modifications necessary to get this to work. It is also partly my fault for not having all the necessary breathers, which I should have on here already. As soon as I get my head breather, if there is any more problems. The person I bought the head from will be hearing from me. :x

Otherwise the bike runs awesome aside from the fact that it gets so hot so fast lol.

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
Get some earls stainless mesh auto-flex hose, and some econofit anodized hose clamps to finish off that oil cooler in style. The hose the kitaco kit comes with is terrible.

Also, when you cut the hose, make sure you don't get any bits or hose shavings into the hose, as it will circulate through the motor.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
....its still not running right. The oil cooler helped a lot, it takes like 5 times as long now to heat my bike up. Its really strange. I gets hot, oil comes outta everywhere, and the bike just wants to die when i let off. This is only when its really warmed up though. I loosened the valve adejustment pins and noticed that the exaust rocker arm has like tension to it to move it. The intake side rocker arm moves very freely, just like my stock head. What could be causing my exaust rocker arm to barely move? It did this before I installed the head and I just thought nothing of it but im running outta ideas here.

Also when I first installed the head there were two pins on the oil plate side that where in the way of the studs when installing the head. I just tapped them into the head though and put it on. Dunno what those went to or do. I'm about ready to bring my bike into the shop. :cry:

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
Take the top end apart and look at all the gaskets to make sure you don't have blockage in the oil system. could it be where your oil drains back into the case from the head is plugged or partially plugged, and your head fills with oil, and has nowhere to drain out?

Get a new gasket set, take the whole top end apart, and recheck your work. Cheaper than taking it to a mechanic, and you may find an easy solution.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.