PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, we know there's been some controversy over who should be Pro and who should be Am, how would you divide the two?? For instance....Just cause Sam is real fast around here he still could have entered the Am Class in Vegas seeing as how it was really his first Big Race on a mini even though he didn't. Maybe there needs to be a determining factor to set the two apart. Anybody got any ideas?? Cause to me....."Wow He's a Fast F'er" shouldn't be what determines it. Thoughts??? Comment??? Let's hear 'em!!!!

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
HACKMUNCH said:
Just do qualifiers like i said last year. Top ten go to the pro or "a" class main, the rest to the "b" class main. This really is the only way to determine skill levels.

Won't work, sandbaggers will hold back in practice / qualifers and then go all out in the main.

Its a screwed situation really. The pit bike scene is just the wrong size for proper classification of riders.

But that would be the only way to get some of the fast guys into the proper class, if they are honest anyways.

·
Registered
922 Posts
The way I would like to see it is like big bike where done in the past.

When you take four 1st places you move up a class and continue to do so. When you take Seven 2nd or the combination of four 1st you move up.

This will allow riders to grow and push the fast guys to become faster.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
If you've raced a pro class or taken money for a win, you are a pro rider.

Take Doug Sullivan (no offense Doug) for example. He raced pro down in Florida, came to Vegas 2 years ago and ran away with the amateur class.

Edit :: I also don't think pros should be allowed in the stock/mod class.

·
Registered
382 Posts
There isn't a real accurate way to determine, or tell someone what class to race, its pitbikes, most of us don't have, or ever will have an AMA pro license. If you want to pay more for an entry fee for a chance to win a bigger purse, or get sponsors, then race pro.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
minithump, no offense taken!

But those people are the same people and tracks I rode with or on every day for years.

After winning the Am. I understand people saying I should race pro but look at Petrie... he got to defend his title!

I say bring it back to grass roots and only give trophies... money just takes the fun away from it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
xr1million said:
minithump, no offense taken!

But those people are the same people and tracks I rode with or on every day for years.

After winning the Am. I understand people saying I should race pro but look at Petrie... he got to defend his title!

I say bring it back to grass roots and only give trophies... money just takes the fun away from it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Perfect!! I agree 100%

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
+2 on Jaybro and Slater. Most people know what class they should be racing in. On one hand-- it's pretty cool that pit bikes have gotten to levels where we are talking about "Pro" riders, but on the other hand-- I'm not sure that anyone should be taking pit bikes this seriously. I know that I take having a good time at the events seriously, and not getting injured seriously-- but the racing? I do what I can, but not so much really.

If we are going to have pit bike pro's, then address the situation the same way as they do in big bike races. I have seen riders pull over to the side in big bike races two turns from the finish after killing the competition throughout the whole moto, in order to stay in the class that they're in without getting the necessary wins to move up.

It's pretty sorry, but there's really no way of policing that. If you look into Vintage MX racing, situations like the one described, are at the discretion of the governing body of the AHRMA board. I think it's a good idea to be subjuct to the discretion of an official board. They have the power to move a rider to "Pro" status based on their opinion.

I'm glad I don't have to worry about all that drama in the Vet Class. IMO, we already have it with the "12/14 wheeled/big bike" dilemma, and letting young 200 lb. "Sumo's" into Vet. I really can't consider my finishing spot to indicate how well I rode in any given race-- I just like to challenge myself to do as well as I can. I sure love to ride crazy minibikes and it's that simple. I just wish that 12 inch open was the same for the non pro's that race it.

·
Banned
5,144 Posts
That was part of the deal we talked about last year, you win 3 strait amature races you go to the pro class. Around here your not gonna get much respect sandbagging and dominating the amature class, we know who the fast guys are. I just see alot of guys with 12" bikes watching at races instead of riding because they dont want to battle with the pro guys.

·
Registered
541 Posts
ironman said:
If Your Fast Race Pro Class, If your not fast race amateur class.

Who determines if you are fast of not. I run the pro class locally (the Missouri mini series) but if and when I decide to go to, say the CHP nat, I would probably get spanked by the am class. I'm sure I'm not the only one out there in this situation.

·
Registered
7,433 Posts
Luckystar64 said:
It's pretty sorry, but there's really no way of policing that. If you look into Vintage MX racing, situations like the one described, are at the discretion of the governing body of the AHRMA board. I think it's a good idea to be subjuct to the discretion of an official board. They have the power to move a rider to "Pro" status based on their opinion.

I think thats the only way you could get all the riders classified correctly, a panel of judges that reviews past finishes and laptimes etc and places them in the class they think he or she belongs.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
the only way to do it is put up decent money for the pro class and pay back 5 or 6 places minimum. I don't understand the mentality of winning amateur class anyways? big deal, you beat all the guys that suck!!!

HACKMUNCH said:
I just see alot of guys with 12" bikes watching at races instead of riding because they dont want to battle with the pro guys.

Yup I wont race the 12 open class - at the end of the race I start to get tired and these bikes are bit difficult to control when that happens, the last thing I need is to be "that guy" that took out Sam, Brent, Jay or Carl or anyone else as they were lapping me... You get the picture.

·
Registered
323 Posts
You cant run qualifiers and then split up the class into "a" and "b" 12" classes. People would be in a different class each week depending on how they do in their heat. What if Sam/Brent/Me/Carl gets a flat in his heat? We go into the "b" class?

I like this post Evil one. Keep the ideas coming in. Good ideas or bad ideas, at least its thought provoking.

First off. Its hard without a governing body and a rules committee intact. Who is there to enforce new guidelines? Just the promoters of each race? And the promoters have to be a part of this santioning body or else they have "outlaw" races like we have now.

I think a rider's big-bike status should be included when determining pro or am status (if the person races big bikes). If no background in big-bikes, then a rep from the sanctioning body of pitbikes makes the call after seeing them ride.

Having people getting lapped in a race should not be a concern of the lappers as much as it should concern the riders doing the lapping. So far I havent heard any complaints about lappers getting in the way. Only the lappers are complaining. If you ARE a lapper- HOLD YOUR LINE and the faster riders will get around you, instead of changing lines. Trust me, those riders are lapping you because they are faster riders and they will find a way by without a lapper swapping from side to side trying to get out of the way. Watch a pro mx or sx. They get lapped up inside the top ten at times.

I always thought it was better to ride with faster riders so I could improve. Seems that was kinda an "oldschool" thought.

Jay

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
i think if people think they are fast enough to race pro they should..if your not fast race amatuer.. all lies in your confidence level.. i like more guys in pro anyways, usualy means more money up for grabs!:D

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.