PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says I might be leaving the offroad scene and trying something new. After working in it for the last 4 years I am sick of being lied to by owners of companies to get me to come work for them only to have the things that were promised to me fall out and leave me struggling to survive. I am going to go to one local shop and see if they are needing a parts manager and if that doesn't go thru I am not sure what I am going to do for work but it won't be in this industry anymore.

I will however keep my bikes and continue to ride them and come here to say what up from time to time. If you guys don't see me very much feel free to drop me a line from time to time.

I will keep you guys updated as to if I leave the industry or not.

[email protected]

·
Registered
347 Posts
Although I don't know you personally, I spent many years in one trade bouncing from company to company trying to get ahead. After realizing there just wasn't any money in that trade, I decided to change trades and am much happier. I know how you feel and I'm just saying this for support. When it comes down to it, you have to do what's best for yourself and your family. Good luck, I hope everything works out for you!

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Theey are not really screwing me but I was promised some stuff and now not coming thru to the fulol effect as they were supposed to.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Man, i know how you feel. I spent years in those shoes in the automotive parts world( S&R/Parts manager). And ultimately that's what drove me to start my own business ( or two LOL ). I have been in business myself for about 5 years or more. And although i wasn't making a ton of money in the start, things really picked up after a while. I had the time and freedom to explore other avenues and options in life that working a normal job for some one else wouldn't allow me to do ( mainly due to time constraints) and the most important part was that i was HAPPY doing what i was doing.

After those years of just doing my own work and networking where ever i could, it finally paid off ina different kind of way. I just landed basicly my dream job. I do mainly engine computer tuning on pan-am series and cup series porsche race cars, also doing some ferraris and old classic muscle cars as well. I did an alternator on a bankers car and he reffered me to the owners of my current job after seeing some of my Formula style computer setups, like the one that runs my "fun car".

I met with these shop owners and after showing them what i know about stand alone engine management, the fact that i can fabricate and a few other things, they offered me a job on the spot. They gave me 31k a year to start without even asking for credentials. That doesn't include that i get 150 bucks a day to be at teh race track as a stand by tech. they also pay for my hotel, meals and all travel expenses just to have me there.

I guess what i'm ultimately getting at is that maybe you should start something up of your own and use that to either

A.) get where you want to be in life and be happy working for yourself ( not to mention knowing everything and not being fed BS by some "boss")

or

B.) use the time you have and connections/friends/customers you make while doing it to get yourself in some place where you are better off, or know for a fact what teh deal is before signing on with them.

when your gut tells you you need to make a move like this, it's usually right.. it may be rough in the beggining, but hang in there and your determination adn skills will take you a lot further than working for some one else ever will.

Good luck man, i know from reading your posts on here that you have the intelect to get out there and make something happen for yourself.

kepp us updated !!!!!!

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
send me a PM, i know a job you may be interested in...its not really a job, more a CAREER! depending on how old you are....25+?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Waffle said:
Theey are not really screwing me but I was promised some stuff and now not coming thru to the fulol effect as they were supposed to.

Rule #1, always get it in writing, if ther is no ill intent it shouldn't be a problem.

Rule #2, dont believe anything that anybody tells you and only half of what you read.

Rule #3 when in doubt refer to rules 1 and 2.

Dont let them drive you away from what you like doing, sometimes you have to stay in one place a while and suffer a bit, use it to your advantage to pick up as many contacts as possible and pretty soon if your good you'll have people calling you to come to work for them instead of you calling them for a job.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Well, Waffle is the man, I know him personally and he is a great guy to deal with, always willing to help and does what he can for you all the time. plus he knows his stuff when it comes to this sport/hobby!!!!!!

He has helped me out a bunch, probably more then he wanted to at times, but still did what he could.

Sorry man, hope things go better for ya...Don't let the BS get to ya.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
661playa' said:
Well, Waffle is the man, I know him personally and he is a great guy to deal with, always willing to help and does what he can for you all the time. plus he knows his stuff when it comes to this sport/hobby!!!!!!

He has helped me out a bunch, probably more then he wanted to at times, but still did what he could.

Sorry man, hope things go better for ya...Don't let the BS get to ya.

that's the impression i get from jsut reading his posts on here.. i think he should go into business building bikes/motors and doing setup and tuning on them ...pass out cards at the track and what not and eventually end up with a throving business or make the contacts to get in somewhere that will come through with what they promise..also, gettin it in writing is almost a must these days...assh0les will promise you the world and deliver a toxic waste dump if you can't bind them into their words some how

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I really want to start my own online business but it is so damn competetive right now and no one wants to pay retail for parts. The way I see it if I had to chose I would pay retail and get what I wanted or needed and have my order be right the first time rather than get hooked up and have the wrong parts. Not saying anything bad about anyone or any vendors here on the site but no one wants to pay for parts anymore. I know what everything costs and how much to mark things up and how much to discount stuff but it is so hard to make a living off of it.

Who knows what I will do but right now I am sort of in a slump but I am sure things will work out. Thanks for all of your support guys, I wasn't asking for any but you guys came thru and gave me a good pick up and made me feel better. I will definetly keep you guys posted on to what happens.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Waffle said:
I really want to start my own online business but it is so damn competetive right now and no one wants to pay retail for parts. The way I see it if I had to chose I would pay retail and get what I wanted or needed and have my order be right the first time rather than get hooked up and have the wrong parts. Not saying anything bad about anyone or any vendors here on the site but no one wants to pay for parts anymore. I know what everything costs and how much to mark things up and how much to discount stuff but it is so hard to make a living off of it.

Who knows what I will do but right now I am sort of in a slump but I am sure things will work out. Thanks for all of your support guys, I wasn't asking for any but you guys came thru and gave me a good pick up and made me feel better. I will definetly keep you guys posted on to what happens.

make your money off the labor bro... do the parts at a decent price but focus on bike setup, tuning and custom builds... next thing you know pitbike magazine will feature a "waffle edition" crf and you'll be happy as hell :woot

best of luck on whatever you do, but there's so many people out there that either donthave the know-how, can't or just dont' like to build their own stuff (out of fear of messing it up mostly) that you could make a good bit of coin installin the parts instead of just sellin them.. and instead of online, get personal...people like knowing the face fo teh people thye'r buying from and that are doing their work for them... setup a few friends bikes for free basicly andhave tehm promote you to thers who ask about their setups and then just do your thing and always let people knwo that you build/customize fiddies and you'll find a lot of tehm will be calling you before too long

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Hey, let me know what you are going to do. If you go to another shop let me know and let me know when you want to go riding again. i know how you feel I moved 2000 miles to get kinda the same deal. The owner of the shop I used to work for called me up and wants me to come back in a bad way so I will be back in Indy by the first of June.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.