PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys! I need help on my 150 cc motorcycle. It's basically what the title says. It will run like it's on a limiter, but when you downshift a gear it will sometimes go but with a lot of hesitation which makes passing cars very scary because I'm not getting reliable power.

Everything is stock, even the jets. Everything is clean (carb, filters, fuel lines). I replaced vacuum lines with new ones. Vacuum petcock is new. Carb diaphragm is also new. Checked for vacuum leaks elsewhere, nothing. The engine starts no problems and will idle good. Revs are good when in idle.

I started to suspect ignition problems so what I did was put a screw driver next to the junction between the SP cap and the SP wire then placed the screw driver's tip very close to the engines valve cover. There's a spark jumping from the tip of the screw driver and it get's stronger when revving the engine. I'm not sure if this is normal but I'm starting to think I'm "leaking" electricity out of my ignition system.

Am I guessing this correctly? I'm planning to swap out the ignition coil and SP cap if this is the case but I would like to know your opinions on this. It's driving me mad. It's been reliable on my 10 years of owning it and have able been to fix things on it when things get broken but this problem has been persistent. I know I'm just missing something so I hope you can shed some light on it.

Thank you!
Marc

·
Super Moderator
9,586 Posts
Need some more information from your end...

Street bike?

Dirt Bike?

horizontal engine?

vertical engine?

6V points-type ignition?

12V CDI-type ignition?

Some pictures of what you have may also help, so we can see what you're working with...

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
If it ran really well for 10 years and all of a sudden is not, there's a few places to start looking

Grounds and connections
Coil and Stator
Carb (in this case main jet plugging up a bit) or general cleaning
Bad gas

Those would be where my attention would be.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1 - 6 of 6 Posts