PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
1sikk110 said:
but i want a z 50 and i been seeing all the over racing and g-craft swingers and WIDE wheels how much does all that stuff run i wanna start one of these next

See this bike (sorry Glenn, but I'm going to use your masterpiece as a ballpark example):

Plan on spending north of $10,000 to replicate the above bike.

To build up a high-end Monkey with all high end parts, plan on spending north of $4,000 and up and up and up depending on the parts chosen.

On the flip side of the coin, you can spend as much or as little as you want, and can have a really nice bike for $1500-$2000 depending on the condition of the initial bike purchase and the direction you take it.

Some can build really nice bikes for under $1000.

It all depends on your budget and how much ramen you eat.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Z-

Thanks for the reply. What would you consider a budget build up for a Z50, one of the $1-2K range excluding the 'donor frame'

Wheel & Tire?

Motor?

Suspension?

Where is the biggest bang for the buck?

TIA

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
drewbird911 said:
Z-

Thanks for the reply. What would you consider a budget build up for a Z50, one of the $1-2K range excluding the 'donor frame'

Wheel & Tire?

Motor?

Suspension?

TIA

It's all a matter of personal preference and what you want to get out of a bike. Some modify with suspension, others wheels, others bars and a seat. Engines.

Spend some serious time reading through past threads as lots and lots of these questions have been asked and answered in the past.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I've been reading this forum non-stop for a few weeks! I am thinking that I'll get an older Honda Z and start from there or I would be better off buying someone's finished project?

Time versus money, also what can I get away with at home (PW).

I may have to wait a while... and work on the FrankenBike

http://www.planetminis.com/f14/frankenstein-ct70-101444.html

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
drewbird911 said:
Thanks for the reply, I've been reading this forum non-stop for a few weeks! I am thinking that I'll get an older Honda Z and start from there or I would be better off buying someone's finished project?

Time versus money, also what can I get away with at home (PW).

I may have to wait a while... and work on the FrankenBike

http://www.planetminis.com/f14/frankenstein-ct70-101444.html

You'll save some money buying someones build since they took the hit on some of the aftermarket stuff. It might take a while to find a bike like the above for sale since not too many people sell them after they build it.

I'm playing with the idea of selling my modded ZB50 once I get finished ;)

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
drewbird911 said:
Z-

Wheel & Tire?

Motor?

Suspension?

TIA

Yes a "budget build" is about $1000-$2,000 plus or minus $2000

Don't ever say you're going to do a budget build because it never is or will be. It consumes you like a disease.

Get exactly what you want. Don't waste money on something that is 'close' to what you want because you won't be satisfied. All you need is time to save up and you'll get there. Ask all of us how we know. :D

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
shw911 said:
Get exactly what you want. Don't waste money on something that is 'close' to what you want because you won't be satisfied. All you need is time to save up and you'll get there. Ask all of us how we know. :D
what he said. get exactly what you want the first time.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Thanks for all the advise. As you say get what you want, how big's your wallet. I am inherently cheap, so that a big part of the problem... Donor $500, Engine $500, Wheels & Tires $600 $upension $600, Bling- $400 ~$2,600~Do-able But am I going to end up with a POS-Death Trap or a rideable bike? or I should just get a Pitster Supermoto or someone's finished Resto-mod project?

TIA

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
shw911 said:
Don't ever say you're going to do a budget build because it never is or will be. It consumes you like a disease.

this is true i spent over 3500 on my KLX including paying cash for my 08 but now i want one of these and i just want the wheels swinger and tires maybe a mild bore:rolleyes: but those r just dreams lol

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Thats a pretty good budget. I spent about that much on my Panda. For a Z50/CT, you don't NEED suspension work. If anything, get some aftermarket rear shocks and it should be good (ie Kitaco has some ok ones for $90) and then you can use more for bling.

On my ZB50, I'm in about $3500+ and it's still not complete and running yet...

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
1sikk110 said:
does over racing or g-craft make wheels for my klx? cuz honestly u guys got the cool lookin bikes on the forum no lie

You could convert your bike to a KSR110 swingarm and front forks and run Over Racing Sport wheels with an Over Racing Swingarm, Triple clamps and KSR110 Upside Down forks. You may have some fab work on the rear shock mount so you can run an ohlins, or other aftermarket road shock.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
drewbird911 said:
Thanks for all the advise. As you say get what you want, how big's your wallet. I am inherently cheap, so that a big part of the problem... Donor $500, Engine $500, Wheels & Tires $600 $600, Bling- $400 ~$2,600~Do-able But am I going to end up with a POS-Death Trap or a rideable bike? or I should just get a Pitster Supermoto or someone's finished Resto-mod project?

TIA

If you are going to go all out I would suggest that instead of getting a donor bike and replacing parts just get a frame, tank, and a used already modded crf motor.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Z said:
See this bike (sorry Glenn, but I'm going to use your masterpiece as a ballpark example):

Plan on spending north of $10,000 to replicate the above bike.

To build up a high-end Monkey with all high end parts, plan on spending north of $4,000 and up and up and up depending on the parts chosen.

On the flip side of the coin, you can spend as much or as little as you want, and can have a really nice bike for $1500-$2000 depending on the condition of the initial bike purchase and the direction you take it.

Some can build really nice bikes for under $1000.

It all depends on your budget and how much ramen you eat.

No probs Dan. That bike is an example of building what I wanted, not to a budget. There's a lot of sacrifices made to build that bike i can tell you! :roll:

If you are going to build something semi-serious then take your time and get exactly what you want, first time, as per below. It will work out cheaper, trust me.

shw911 said:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.