PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Yeah, let's hear it!

Hopefully it doesn't involve having to get a Certificate of Origin and an original sales receipt. Or having it titled as "homemade".

What's the secret? Do tell..

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In Montana, a person just needs to bring a title ('OFF-ROAD ONLY', etc.) to the DMV and they will (1.) hand you a license plate, (2.) print you a registration, and (3.) permanently change the 'OFF-ROAD ONLY' on your title to 'ON-ROAD',

People get license plates for quads, mini's, etc. Montana is just happy to have folks buying license plates (my guess).

We like it : )

Bikes like we ride are much more valuable once they have been plated

PM me if I can help ya.

·
Registered
49 Posts
realgraverobber said:
In Montana, a person just needs to bring a title ('OFF-ROAD ONLY', etc.) to the DMV and they will (1.) hand you a license plate, (2.) print you a registration, and (3.) permanently change the 'OFF-ROAD ONLY' on your title to 'ON-ROAD',

People get license plates for quads, mini's, etc. Montana is just happy to have folks buying license plates (my guess).

We like it : )

Bikes like we ride are much more valuable once they have been plated

PM me if I can help ya.

I live in Montana (Billings), and I considered plating my quad, and my mini, but haven't yet. You're SUPPOSSED to have a mirror and a Horn too, but they don't require proof.

·
Registered
49 Posts
MiniRider101 said:
Thats not going to work for people in NY, NJ, and CA.

You're absolutely correct. Just because something is plated in Montana, doesn't mean that California is going to accept it as a street legal vehicle. Plus, the issue of D.O.T. legal tires will come up (it is overlooked here in Montana).

The California Air Resources Board (CARB) is very stringent, and I don't see it happening easily at all.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Tires aren't to big of an issue. I run scooter tires on my stunt 50 and there D.O.T. It's more of the title issue, (CARB), and I don't know about other states but NYS inspection is pretty strict about things

·
Registered
49 Posts
MiniRider101 said:
Tires aren't to big of an issue. I run scooter tires on my stunt 50 and there D.O.T. It's more of the title issue, (CARB), and I don't know about other states but NYS inspection is pretty strict about things

I guess I meant Cali specifically. I lived in San Diego most of my life, but have been in Billings for the last 3 years.

Scooter tires would be a great option, I didn't think about that.

·
Registered
475 Posts
i want to plate my bike but im here in cali no go.so heres my ? if i ship my bike out to one of my buddies in on of the states that lets u plate the bike will i be able to change it over to my name after he plates it for

me and ship it all back to me?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ridethis said:
i want to plate my bike but im here in cali no go.so heres my ? if i ship my bike out to one of my buddies in on of the states that lets u plate the bike will i be able to change it over to my name after he plates it for

me and ship it all back to me?

Nope. Infact, you can't even buy a new vehicle in another state, bring it to Cali and register it.

The ONLY way I can see it ever happening, is to somehow use the "frame" from some street legal honda m/c like a CT70 or CT90 modified of course.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
realgraverobber said:
In Montana, a person just needs to bring a title ('OFF-ROAD ONLY', etc.) to the DMV and they will (1.) hand you a license plate, (2.) print you a registration, and (3.) permanently change the 'OFF-ROAD ONLY' on your title to 'ON-ROAD'

What if I have no title at all, can you bring just a VIN # to Montana DMV, and leave with a title?

·
Registered
369 Posts
You guys are lucky out there in Montana. You try it that technique here in Nc they will laugh you right out of the DMV.

·
Registered
49 Posts
XLr8r said:
What if I have no title at all, can you bring just a VIN # to Montana DMV, and leave with a title?

not quite, but close. To get the new title, YOu have to fill out a form that shows some kind of proof the bike (car, boat, etc) is yours. A bill of sale, something. It has to then be notarized. THEN, you have to have a badged officer check the VIN number and fill out a form. Then you send those two papers in (I dropped mine off at the courthouse) they check to make sure that the VIN has not been reported stolen. If it comes back ok, then they send you a title.

I just did this btw, because, I bought a pit bike from a well known online retailer, and the cert of origin did not show a transfer from the manufacturer to the re-seller to me. No transfers were filled out at all and In Montana it was all but useless. I used my invoice, my paypal receipt, and the cert of origin as my "proof" of purchase.

·
Registered
475 Posts
BJames said:
Nope. Infact, you can't even buy a new vehicle in another state, bring it to Cali and register it.

The ONLY way I can see it ever happening, is to somehow use the "frame" from some street legal honda m/c like a CT70 or CT90 modified of course.

thats gay

·
Registered
475 Posts
[quote name='XLr8r']If it's gay, you could just get legally married to it in Cali..[/QUOTE

what ur gay?! nice way to get off topic bro only if u were closer.so i can slap the gay right off u fag!grow up lil kid hahahah

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
But what I'm hearing here is something very different. Say, you had a "friend" in Montana that you "sold" your bike to (provided you had the MSO to start with).

That "friend" then goes and titles it, not even registers it, just titles it in their name. Maybe he's not ready to plate it yet as it needs a little work, or you want to make a few mods to it and he'll come back. Hypothetically, lets just say, a few weeksl later that "friend" decides to "sell" it back to you since you felt regrets about selling it. Now it comes back to you with a street legal title.

Then put some mirrors, dot tires, and lighting on it and go get the title transferred into your name and put a plate on it. Easy peasy depending on the state. That will work in VA for sure! As a matter of fact, there is no inspection so as long as I bring a title and a bill of sale in, I can transfer it to me and put a plate on it.

So, someone in Montana could stand to make some good money doing this.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
No man! You said "that's gay". I was making a stoopid joke inferring that in California, it sounds like it would be easier to get a gay marriage liscence for your "gay" bike than it is to get a f'in tag on it with all the crap they make you Cali riders go through.

That's all. Nevermind if you didn't get it.

My problem is I don't have the Manufacturers Statement of Origin, or a bill of sale. My frame is like third hand through craigslist. How hard is it to get the Manufacturers Statement of Origin? Or does Montana even care? I know Va requires it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts