PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
so can you make any 4 stroke dirt bike street legal in cali? only reason im asking is cause i have a crf450 motard that is already street legal and i plan on movign to cali in a few years and would liek to bring it with me.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
ZBs are easy you just go with your title to the DMV and get your plate. Its recognized as a street legal bike in CA. for a dirt bike thats also pretty easy if it was sold in the state as a green sticker bike with a vin and title, you can just do the baja conversion and get it inspected/signed off on by the CHP or certified inspection shop. Then you can take that paper work to the DMV and get dual sport reg and you get a plate.

For your case with the 450 thats already plated in your state thats just a state to state reg transfer, CA will take any bike in that case that has i think 7500 miles on it. if thats the case just transfer the reg at the DMV. if you don't have a odometer that is that high just get one off ebay.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I have been interested in building a streetable tagged monkey knockoff for some time and just got back an interesting response from Larry Hooper at Hooper imports.

They sell a 70cc Honda replica with a lifan motor for $849 ($749 for the 50cc version) the 70cc version is even electric start!

When I inquired as to the platability, his response was as follows:

WA State has always allowed tags. The New Pitbull 70cc is EPA and DOT approved for all states other than CA.

Regards,

Larry Hooper

They offer free delivery to any Forward Air terminal so this might be a good place to start for anyone wanting to get a streetable mini. (Sorry for all you folks in the Republik of California.......) :rolleyes:

I am thinking this is not a bad alternative, since once you get the plate, you can generally mod to your heart's content as long as you don't remove any of the required lighting, horn, etc. You could, of course, modify the lighting....... With the titled frame, it would be pretty easy (though waaaay expensive) to follow Brad's lead or to bolt on a set of Z40R plastic and make a streetable mini-motard. :grin:

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
joman2055 said:
haha, no. its dam near impossible to get a bike plated here. i still dont know how they get away with plating those zb50s

ZB50's were street legal from Honda from New in 1988. The only true street legal Honda minis made in the USA since 1980 are the 1988 Honda ZB50 and 1991-1994 CT70 excluding the scooters.

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
makotosun said:
I have been interested in building a streetable tagged monkey knockoff for some time and just got back an interesting response from Larry Hooper at Hooper imports.

They sell a 70cc Honda replica with a lifan motor for $849 ($749 for the 50cc version) the 70cc version is even electric start!

When I inquired as to the platability, his response was as follows:

WA State has always allowed tags. The New Pitbull 70cc is EPA and DOT approved for all states other than CA.

Regards,

Larry Hooper

They offer free delivery to any Forward Air terminal so this might be a good place to start for anyone wanting to get a streetable mini. (Sorry for all you folks in the Republik of California.......) :rolleyes:

I am thinking this is not a bad alternative, since once you get the plate, you can generally mod to your heart's content as long as you don't remove any of the required lighting, horn, etc. You could, of course, modify the lighting....... With the titled frame, it would be pretty easy (though waaaay expensive) to follow Brad's lead or to bolt on a set of Z40R plastic and make a streetable mini-motard. :grin:

There are many states that would not allow those to be registered as a street legal mini. Being EPA and DOT approved doesn't mean squat when there are state laws on the books with wheel size and seat height minimums to get around and since they have a gearbox, they can't be classified as a moped in most states.

Before I would purchase that bike from Hooper, I would want to see a photocopy of the title that shows the bike is street legal, as most come with "For-Offroad Use Only" on the title..

However, nothing is impossible if you put your mind to it, but it all depends on the state you live in...

Bottom line is it's up to the buyer to do the research before making the purchase so they aren't left with a paperweight that can't be registered.

Panda is the only Chinese company that went through the hoops to make sure their bikes were street legal in all 50 states before they went out of business. All the other companies aren't giving out all the facts and I see lots of people getting stuck with unregisterable bikes.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I would heartily agree that you need to do your research.

Washington is not an easy state to get plates in, but luckily, I am about a 2 hour drive from Hooper and can go and actually look at the bikes and paper before I purchase. I have not done that, and am only relaying what they have represented.

Since Hooper is in Washington as I am, that was my specific question, so I am going out on a limb here and assuming they are correct. I posted it so that others could look into it if they were interested.

If/when I do this, I will post the results.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
makotosun said:
I have been interested in building a streetable tagged monkey knockoff for some time

or you can buy this one that's already titled for street use

http://www.planetminis.com/f58/titled-jincheng-panda-roller-59647.html

·
Registered
176 Posts
Yeah I've got two big projects now! I'll initially just use the Panda for basic transportation while the ZB is down for the build. And to think that a month ago I didn't know a monkey from an ape...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.