PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a Motoped with the Pitster Pro 110 motor and i'm getting a reading of almost 18v (17.96 VDC) at the battery when the motor is running. From my automotive experience it should be around 14v, is this normal? I have tried 2 different regulators/ rectifiers. The bike starts up and runs fine, I'm just concerned with the high voltage at the battery that the battery could fail catastrophically.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Correct it should be around 14, odd that you have tried two different regulators and its still over charging.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
When the motor is running at idle or higher RPM?
Is that with the battery connected or disconnected?
Some small charging systems only have a rectifier, that turns AC voltage to DC. Being that the charging system isn't powerful enough to over charge.
Did the bike have any lights on it previously?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When the motor is running at idle or higher RPM?
Is that with the battery connected or disconnected?
Some small charging systems only have a rectifier, that turns AC voltage to DC. Being that the charging system isn't powerful enough to over charge.
Did the bike have any lights on it previously?
The battery is connected. There were never any lights on the bike. I'm reading 14.8 - 15.5 VDC at idle, and it seems to top out at 18.5VDC when I rev it up. I don't have a tach handy, so I'm not exactly what RMP these readings were taken at. Hopefully I can get a hold of a tach soon.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Do you have an "Amp clamp"?
See how many amps are going into the battery. I'll bet it's only a couple.

Most VOM's have the ability to measure amps using it's leads, but be very cautious doing it this way as you can easily 'let the smoke out' of the meter. Most meters say 10 amp max. But if you end up sending more than 10 amps through the meter it may go POOF.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts