PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 2004 SDG speed mini, as usual trans took a dump. Replaced it with a Pitster pro 125 ran good till lately then started to not want to rev under load and only run while choked. Figured it was a carb issue since it’s like 15 yrs old replaced it with a brand new 24mm Minkuni carb. Still same issue now as of yesterday it ran for a bit now it won’t start at all. Tested it has spark, when you kick it over sometimes it will spit gas back out the carb intake. Other odd thing I noticed is when it did run yesterday it would leak some fuel around the gas cap as if the tank was pressurized? Even though the rubber seal is good and cap is tight. Hoping someone has some insight thanks !

·
Super Moderator
9,927 Posts
Try adjusting the valves to .003" for the intake and .004" for the exhaust. Also make sure the gas cap vent is clear and not pressurizing the tank, causing a vapor lock of sorts and not allowing the fuel to flow.

That SDG engine should have a 3-valve head, correct?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gas cap is good clear vent, never adjusted valves on a bike only a car can you walk me threw it ?

·
Super Moderator
9,927 Posts
The piston has to be at TDC, both valves closed. Insert the feeler gauge in between the tappet adjuster and the valve. If it needs adjustment, loosen the jamnut slightly and turn the adjuster until it contacts the feeler gauge. Then snug up the jamnut. Do the same with the exhaust.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I took the head off piston looks ok but Is the intake valve supposed to be open a bit with not tension on the cam ?

·
Super Moderator
9,927 Posts
You need to take the valves out, clean them on a wire wheel, and thoroughly clean the head, especially the valve seats, and then reassemble. Media blasting or glass beading would be the best method, and you may have to lap the valves in to get a good seal with the seats.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts