PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just mounted new tires and tubes up to douglas billet rims. The tires will not hold air. Could it be pinch flats in BOTh tubes? Any tricks to doing tires?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
^^ a crap load of dishsoap all over the tube. its a real mess but your tube will slip into the correct place once you start inflating



honnestly the sme thing happen with me...a pinch flat and since then i get them put on by a motorcycle tire place for like 3$
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,878 Posts
LiquidZuma said:
^^ a crap load of dishsoap all over the tube. its a real mess but your tube will slip into the correct place once you start inflating



honnestly the sme thing happen with me...a pinch flat and since then i get them put on by a motorcycle tire place for like 3$
DONT USE SOAP!!!!!!!!! cause when it gets in side, that will cause the tube to spin easily inside the tire which = ripped off stem...

normally if you buy a tube from a store they will install it for free
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,525 Posts
two4seven said:
DONT USE SOAP!!!!!!!!! cause when it gets in side, that will cause the tube to spin easily inside the tire which = ripped off stem...

normally if you buy a tube from a store they will install it for free


all the stores up here charge liek 10 bucks...and most dont mount 10in tires.



I use windex, and alot of caution and patience.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,516 Posts
no lube and 5 minutes tops. You don't need lube you just need proper technique.

But seriously, why do you need tubes on billet wheels? Billet = one piece so there should be no need for a tube. Just put a valve stem in each one and air it up. You won't have to worry about a pinched tube again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,525 Posts
melloyello said:
no lube and 5 minutes tops. You don't need lube you just need proper technique.

But seriously, why do you need tubes on billet wheels? Billet = one piece so there should be no need for a tube. Just put a valve stem in each one and air it up. You won't have to worry about a pinched tube again.


whats proper technique? Those tires are a bitch to mount, i couldnt imagine doin git without a lube
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah our shop uses baby powder. I am going to do it at our shop on my lunch hour probably.



Wait so can you run no tube in a billet rim???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,516 Posts
I have an old axle I keep just for changing tires. I stand the axle up in a vise and tighten the crap out of it. I then slide the wheel over the axle. This keeps the wheel from walking around while you work on it. Remove stem nut. Push down on tire on side near stem. Slide spoon in opposite side and start removing tire taking small bites until you can pull it up w/ your hand. On the opposite side from stem pull the tube out of tire ending at the stem. Finish removing old tire. Now take time to clean any rust from rim or install new rim strap if needed.

Start puttin one side of tire on. Work it around as far as you can w/ your hands. Then take small bites w/ your spoons until that side is installed. Stick tube stem in hole and stuff the tube in the tire. If you are installing a new tube, air the tube up first then let all air out of it(best to take stem core out). This makes the tube sit more out of harm's way in the tire. Only start the stem nut about 2 threads. Push the stem in until the nut touches the wheel. Now, start to install the other side of the tire w/ your hands just as you did the first side but make sure you start at the stem. Take small bites and try to keep the starting side pushed down as you go. Air up the tire and make sure your stem is straight. Once you have the correct air pressure snug the nut. You don't have to tighten the crap out of it. Just snug it.

I wish I could put it in a video b/c if you try it my way you will never look at changing a tire the same way. When I first starting changing tires years ago I hated it. Even on tires as big as 21" I will use a large punch or something to center it in a vise.

If you don't have an extra axle you can use your existing axle and put some soft jaws on your vise. If you don't have a vise then keep wrestling w/ it. It takes a bit longer but w/ practice gets easy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,831 Posts
Douglas billet wheels are not meant to be run tubeless ! There is no lip on the bead part of the rim. Your asking for trouble trying to run them tubeless. If you use saopy water on a bare aluminum rim, use it sparingly, it will corrode the aluminum once it's trapped in there. Put some baby powder on the tube and a little honda spray polish or a little silicone spray on the tire. put a little air in the tube to keep from pinching it with your irons.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,878 Posts
i would say that would only work for motard. cause when jumping it would not hold up....

BUT i would use baby powder and put the tire in the oven or leave it out side in the sun for a few hours to soften it up
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
989 Posts
FastMC said:
Douglas billet wheels are not meant to be run tubeless ! There is no lip on the bead part of the rim. Your asking for trouble trying to run them tubeless. If you use saopy water on a bare aluminum rim, use it sparingly, it will corrode the aluminum once it's trapped in there. Put some baby powder on the tube and a little honda spray polish or a little silicone spray on the tire. put a little air in the tube to keep from pinching it with your irons.
thatll do it for sure....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,424 Posts
10'' wheels are a bitch no matter what , just put on the workbench or garage floor sprocket side DOWN or you be sorry later .

put lots of baby powder in the tire and rub some on the tube as well , put on down side of the tire on and then put the tube in the tire and the stem in the hole , use flat ended tire irons NOT screwdrivers to install the tire.

i put the blue masking tape on my irons and wheel edge as well .

12'' or larger are a breeze , lay disc side down on a towel and follow the above .

10'' tire off and back on in 10/15 minutes tops , 12'' less time .

14'' and larger lay on a 5 gallon bucket and go at it .

done tires this way for years and pinched a tube maybe twice by not taking my time on a 10'' tire .

good luck.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top