PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 1973 XL70 in overall very good shape but I know I'm going to need some parts for it and I'm not sure where to look. The one thing I'm not sure about is the chrome piece on the rear that the turn signals attach to. One of the turn signal mounts is busted off but the other side is in good shape. Should I just have a tab welded on or find a used one? I'l also need an exhaust because it's kind of hacked up and I want to replace it and put the old one on my z50. The other parts I need should be shared between a bunch of bikes- turn signal housing, clutch lever, possible clutch linkage parts cause under that little cover is kind of rusty, bushings for the taillight bracket, seat cover, airbox parts, etc

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw that but after spending what I did for the bike I don't have that kind of money lol. I'm probably looking for a used exhaust. Also, I wouldn't want to put a brand new exhaust on an original bike, wouldn't look right!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re-mx has parts too.
tmas
I'll definitely be ordering some stuff from them like the airbox boot I'm missing. $400 for the exhausts though... Seems kinda steep. I think for the exhaust and the grab bar on the back I'd be looking for good used parts rather than new. Definitely going to re-mx for the miscellaneous bits and pieces though

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have a look at This site. Maybe an XR75 pipe would work. They are cheaper.
tmas
Problem is the 75 has a vertical cylinder. The XL70 has a horizontal cylinder like a CT70 or z50. Hmm... Maybe a ct70 or z50 exhaust would fit if I can find an underslung one that turns up at the back like the original

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
The used mufflers are hard to find in good shape. Before the reproduction ones came out, it was not unusual to see a rusty dented original one go for $200, and a cherry on for North of $500. You may get lucky, but you could be looking for a long time to find a decent used one for a lower price.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No luck so far with an exhaust. Anyone know what if any aftermarket systems will fit, even if I have to modify it a bit? On the plus side it's moving along really fast. Once I figure out an exhaust it'll be ready to ride, and I found a way around the broken tabs on the grab bar- made some custom brackets that go from the taillight to the fender mount and the turn signals bolt to. Gotta clean up the edges and make them look good but they're really solid
IMG_20200213_204608_01.jpg

·
Super Moderator
9,600 Posts
If you still want the upswept-down pipe style, possibly a Cobra ATC70 exhaust would work for you. They have been discontinued from the factory for quite a while, and the two that are HERE on eBay are in pretty rough shape

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you still want the upswept-down pipe style, possibly a Cobra ATC70 exhaust would work for you. They have been discontinued from the factory for quite a while, and the two that are HERE on eBay are in pretty rough shape
I'm pretty sure the pipe that was on it is a modified Cobra pipe for an ATC. Apparently they don't fit great which is why mine was all cut apart and booger welded back together. I'm kind of leaning towards buying one of the reproductions if I can get one under $300. I kind of want an exhaust soon because that's the last thing keeping me from running it. Got it to run for a few seconds but I don't want to run it for any longer without an exhaust

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ended up getting a reproduction exhaust for a little less than ebay prices because I just want it fast so I can get it up and running and tune it hopefully this weekend. The original shocks weren't up to the task of my weight so I threw on some from my parts bin but they're a little longer and it looks like the chain might rub. What bikes use 280 or 290mm shocks but have a heavier load rating? If it rubs I'd like to get some heavier duty shocks that are the stock length

·
Registered
20 Posts
radracer, i'm also working on a XL 70. I got started last summer and couldn't find an exhaust pipe until now and now that the pipe is back in stock i'm not sure if I should buy it. it's not the price thats got me i'm wondering if it is too small for the lifan 125 motor thats on the bike now. if you are still looking for parts all of the parts from an SL 70 will fit our bikes

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
radracer, i'm also working on a XL 70. I got started last summer and couldn't find an exhaust pipe until now and now that the pipe is back in stock i'm not sure if I should buy it. it's not the price thats got me i'm wondering if it is too small for the lifan 125 motor thats on the bike now. if you are still looking for parts all of the parts from an SL 70 will fit our bikes
I can take some measurements on my exhaust when it comes in next week if you want. I'd bet it probably fits the Lifan 125 but might be a little restrictive. These bikes seem to be pretty much built from the Honda parts bin, I needed turn signals so I bought the ones off a CL350 and they fit perfectly. I'm sure a ton of other parts are interchangeable between other models.

I just got one of the turn signal brackets ground down last night, I'm hoping to do the other today and get them primed and painted black soon. I also started polishing the paint a little bit and it's looking good. Unfortunately I found out the engine side cover that goes around the stator and sprocket has some chunks missing so I'm going to have to get another one of those.

·
Registered
20 Posts
the pipe will bolt up to the lifan 125 but will it be too restrictive? if I got that pipe I would like to keep the baffle in, it would most likely work without the baffle

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got the rear end wiring done, it looked a lot worse than it actually was. I was able to hook up the the stock main harness under the seat where everything plugs in so I essentially just replaced the wiring back from that that was hacked up and cut. I want to hook up the battery and test everything out but it seems like my battery won't charge. Got a brand new one I had to put the acid in myself and none of my 3 chargers will do anything to charge it. I also got the turn signal brackets ground down and they're looking a lot better.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Got the new battery installed and all the wiring hooked up. No lights though, does the bike have to be running for the lights to turn on or am I missing something?

Update: a couple bad connections cleaned up and I've got lights! The blinker relay seems to be dead though...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts