PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm restoring a 1977 Z50 for my neighbor, it was his when he was a kid and he wants to give it to his son.

I would like to update the bike if possible.

I know allot of these parts are available on eBay but I thought I would try here first. We might even be able to work out a trade if someone out there is wanting to restore an older Z with original parts. The tank/ seat on the bike now is in good condition, just wanting to update.

I'm looking for a newer (mid 90's style) gas tank and seat.

The condition isn't so important, I can repaint the tank and recover the seat if needed.

The chrome fenders on the bike are junk, half of the rear one is missing, so I haven't ordered fenders yet in the hopes I can update those as well.

Other parts not needed but wanted.....if I can get the seat/tank.

1. Mid 90's style handlebars w/ controls

2. Non-headlight fork uppers

3. Updated exhaust.

4. Mid 90's fenders

·
Registered
10,012 Posts
I have a set of the original handlebars with the throttle/brake/kill switch combo and wiring for a 1996 model Z50. It is in good condition because I changed it out for bigger stuff that fits me. I might have more, but I have to check. The only after market pipe is made by Big Gun Exhaust who has a local shop out here. Where are you located?

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
Motoboy said:
I'm restoring a 1977 Z50 for my neighbor, it was his when he was a kid and he wants to give it to his son.

I would like to update the bike if possible.

I know allot of these parts are available on eBay but I thought I would try here first. We might even be able to work out a trade if someone out there is wanting to restore an older Z with original parts. The tank/ seat on the bike now is in good condition, just wanting to update.

I'm looking for a newer (mid 90's style) gas tank and seat.

The condition isn't so important, I can repaint the tank and recover the seat if needed.

The chrome fenders on the bike are junk, half of the rear one is missing, so I haven't ordered fenders yet in the hopes I can update those as well.

Other parts not needed but wanted.....if I can get the seat/tank.

1. Mid 90's style handlebars w/ controls

2. Non-headlight fork uppers

3. Updated exhaust.

4. Mid 90's fenders

You will have to weld on a different mounting point on the frame for the new tank to fit. The pre 1978 Z50's had a different mount for the tank. Your shock mounts are different, and the seat mounts are different. You may have to modify the frame to mount the newer style seat.

the 1990's rear fender won't fit without modification, as the 77 Z50 fender mounts different to the frame.

The newer style forks will fit without issue.

I'd fix the 77 back to original, and if you want a newer style bike, sell the 77 and purchase the newer style unless you are a glutton for punishment.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Z50King, thanks, I'm not sure which way I'm going with this now, z88R dropped a bomb on my plans....

If I decide to go with the update I'll contact you about the bars. I should know by tommorow.

z88R, I suspected the tank mounting issue, not really a big deal. But I'm glad you told me about the seat mounts, I'll have to check into that, just to see whats required.

The people I'm doing this for is trying to do this on the cheap. All labor involved is my present to the kid (Alex whos turning 4). They are paying for all the parts but I'm basically doing a frame up resto for free.

I might have to end up just fixing it up as original, but possibly with the plastic fenders that are available for the older Z's to save them some money.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Z50King, looks like we are gonna do the vintage set-up :cry: ....I checked it out and there really wouldn't be much work to get the newer stuff to fit, just new tank mounts and a small plate on the rear of the frame.

But the owners now want to keep the original stuff if they can, they wanted to do the upgrade's....just trying to save $$$.

Now I just need some circa '77 fenders and sidecovers..... :roll:

Thanks anyway..... :D

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
Motoboy said:
Z50King, looks like we are gonna do the vintage set-up :cry: ....I checked it out and there really wouldn't be much work to get the newer stuff to fit, just new tank mounts and a small plate on the rear of the frame.

But the owners now want to keep the original stuff if they can, they wanted to do the upgrade's....just trying to save $$$.

Now I just need some circa '77 fenders and sidecovers..... :roll:

Thanks anyway..... :D

www.hondatrailbikes.com has the fenders and side cover on hand. The side covers are only available in yellow if you want NOS new unless you go on an ebay quest and get one that is hammered and cracked. The decals for the side cover if you paint it can be purchased at

www.reproductiondecals.com

The 1973-1978 tanks are extremely hard to find in good condition, so if yours is fixable, fix the sucker. In fact, about every single part of that bike is available through the big 3 vintage miniparts dealers.

If you need any wierd items for that bike, let me know, as I have one that I probably will only use the frame when I restomod it here this winter. Some of the parts I have are useable, some will hit the garbage, so don't be afraid to ask!

Dan

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
z88R, I don't care what the other guys say about you, I think you're alright!!!

The tank on this bike is actually in good condition I prob. won't do anything to it. Just wax it and go....gotta leave something original.

The things I now need for this bike are...(BTW NOS is not important, this is gonna be a 4yr olds bike.)

1. Fenders (front and rear)

2. sidecover(s) left & right?

3. brake pedal from a Z50R, to replace the goofy one on there now (+ its a little tweaked). Anybody wanna trade?

4. handlebar switches (headlight, kill)

5. Approx. 28 other small details that I have overlooked thus far.

6. Almost forgot....if I can't straighten it...the left side handlebar.

Thanks for your help z88R, Z50King

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.