PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of paint are you guys using to paint crf50 frames and motor covers?? Somthing heat resistant, obviously. What do you do to prep the frame??

Thanks!:D

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
hmm i dont remember what we used ask rider34 his frame came out good but i got mine powder coated white but i wanna change the color but its kinda stuck that way haah

·
Registered
392 Posts
I got my frame, fork tubes, and swinger done for 140 I think.

It was only one color, I think for two colors is is like 160 or so for all of that. I think that is what I was quoted.

·
Registered
510 Posts
chasetheface123 said:
rustoleum! 5 coats and 5 coats of clear! holds up great~!

thats what i did when i had my 50,i bought the paid at walmart for 96cents and put a bunch of coats then a bunch of clear coats on it cost me like 10$ and i kept it for a little over a year after that and it held up mint,i did my swingarm to but i had to touch that up alot

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
i just hand painted mine the first time with oil paint, now i am getting it chrome plated, getting it free so y not,, the hand paint is solid, i coulnt even sandblast it off, its getting done in an acid kinda thingy

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Spray paint is better on a 50 frame than a lot of people give it credit for. Its not like your boots/legs are rubbing on the tubes of the frame like a big bike. The only place it comes in contact with anything is where cables rub, and where roost hits the bottom most part of the frame.

Powdercoat is good, but in a situation where something is rubbing on it... it will not last much longer than paint. Powdercoat is near impossible to sandblast, but sands off relatively easy.

Ideally, powdercoat is the best choice. If you are just beating around the yard on the bike and not looking to impress any planet minis judges, then spray paint it and call it a day. Make sure you scuff up the stock paint to get rid of the shine. It should look flat like a primer before you spray it so the paint has something to stick to. After that give it a couple good coats and let it dry overnight before you touch it. Clear coat looks nice, and helps to protect the finish a little bit.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I used Ace brand spray paint in flat black... looked pretty good and held up great, pretty easy to touch up when I wanted it to look pretty.

·
Registered
975 Posts
HooliganSBM said:
What kind of paint are you guys using to paint crf50 frames and motor covers?? Somthing heat resistant, obviously. What do you do to prep the frame??

Thanks!:D

I think I might be doing the same myself here shortly..

chasetheface123 said:
rustoleum! 5 coats and 5 coats of clear! holds up great~!

I heard rustoleum works great theres just not alot to choose from as far color :(

so how many coats can you get out of 1 can?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts