PlanetMinis Forums banner

Old super head exhuast valve size opinions. READ

2K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  dood 
50rider340 said:
Alright guys as many have known ive been slowly rebuilding my super head this winter for next season. Finally got all my parts in including valves springs and my new intake for a 24 mm carb. Ive come to notice though that the new intake valve takegawa sells is 28mm compaired to the 27 that the older super heads have. I even called lyle from CHP to get his imput. He said the size differences is considered to be worth 4 sheets of paper and i shouldnt have anything to worry about. Also according to my parts numbers they are the correct ones for my head. My question is has anyone else noticed this before they put there new valves in there older super heads.

If anyone has the older takegawa cataloge and could do me the favor and look up there part number which is 14711-SPR-T00 Was this number considered the replacement valve for the olderstyle super heads (not plus Rs)

And on the CHP website its P378IV.

Like i said lyle told me i shouldnt have anything to worry about and as im understanding takegawa basically made a once size fits all type of deal (maybe to save money?). Ive already put the new valves and springs in and everything seals up perfectly when i do a leak down. Im just a lil concerned about the valves hitting the piston so i may grind out a lil extra space just in case on the inlets of the valve reliefs on the piston.

What is the serial number on your head?

50rider340 said:
you will laugh as i see F5 on the left side where the cam cover is. This is the older style twin spark super head. Or am i gonna get screwed and they just really dont make the correct valves for this head anymore.... I looked all over the head and that is the only spot i see any numbers besides takegawa written on the right fin over the right sparkplug. Unless theres some hidden spot they put them im not seeing it hopefully the F5 is what your looking for.

F5 is what I was looking for. F7/G7 Twinspark heads took 28mm valves and were the latest version when they were discontinued.

F6 and lower were 27mm valves. There's a sidenote in the older catlog in red discussing this, but seeing how I don't read Japanese and don't have the time to answer your questions, I'll have to send you back to CHP whom I'm sure sourced you the only replacements available other then going custom and most likely work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.