PlanetMinis Forums banner

Ok I’m bit! What bolt on mods are worth it?

4K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  Texasdad 
#1 ·
So I finally got my sons xr70 running like it should. It’s not a street fighter in stock form but after tearing it apart and putting it back right it’s a world of difference. My son rides primarily in the dirt. I’ve replaced the oem rear shock and am about to replace the old crappy tires with knobbies. My question is in your experience is a uni filter and rejetting a good investment along with maybe changing the front sprocket to a 13 or 14t? I’m not gonna $pend the money on an exhaust or major engine mods because I don’t have the experience or funds. I want to keep it where I can put it back to stock should we ever sell it- but it’s staying for awhile- this little bike and me have spent some time together and my son LOVES it. Mane a power tip but not a $200 exhaust. Let me know what y’all recommend just to get the most out of the stock mill would ya. And btw. I’m gonna put heavier oil in the forks with spacers because he’s only 60lbs. Thanks

#4 ·
I tend to like modding things that I touch often first and foremost, so in this case anything that touches the hands the feet and the butt...

maybe some upgraded pegs for better stability, some upgraded handlebars and grips, maybe a tall seat foam and new seat cover. more comfort and better control will lend to a better riding experience in my opinion.

if he is still learning at the moment, the power right now might be just enough... upgrading the stuff where your hands, feet and butt rest tend to have give immediate gratification both functional and aesthetically

#5 ·
+Bars
+Fresh grips, I really like fresh grips personally
+Tires, If you have not bought tires yet. It is common place to run a rear tire on the front of minis to get better handling
+seat with gripper seat cover and good foam feel
+I would keep the stock airbox considering the limited mods and put a twinair replacement filter in it properly oils and serviced.(buy 2 for swapping with one ready go)
+If front brake level is sloppy replace the whole perch and lever(aftermarket cheap to skys the limit)
+Clean the front brake cable and lubricate
+service the brake shoes, clean and scuff then with some 80 grit sand paper. clean and scuff the brake hub. Brake dust build up can make the brakes terrible. Replace brake shoes if needed
+If more braking power is needed extended brake arms are available to rotate the cam for the brake with more mechanical advantage.

Well maintained bike is faster and safer. I hopped on more than a few mod bikes with almost no brakes. Can't go fast if you can not stop for the turn.

#6 ·
I always upgrade the handling stuff first. Example: brakes, grips, bars, suspension, pegs, cradle, skid plate, etc. Before I even start on the engine. The best way I can explain it: on my cars I upgrade engine mounts/trans mounts/shift bushings, suspension arm bushings, etc all before the engine gets upgraded. All the engine mods in the world are useless on a vehicle that's hard to control or use its full potential.

#7 ·
Thanks all. When I decided the bike looked like a turd I went over everything( with much help from this forum thanks!). He’s little but ambitious. I just upgraded the rear shock and am going to put spacers and heavier/ more oil in the forks. Tires are coming? Any bad things about Kendra? Just got new grips- batrs etc in the future. His hands are small for the brake but I made him master the oh shit stop. Any fix like a shorter front brake lever available? Hadn’t considered pegs! Hmm. Just officially finished the bikes rehab. Someone somewhere bent the right peg pretty good and I couldn’t figure out how to cold bend it back. A welder friend and a rosebud did the trick. I bought him an xr80 and he’s got the clutch down but the extra weigh makes him nervous I think. The 80 is a dog too. I’m tempted to start shopping for a yz80 or 85 and let the kid feel that thrill you only get the first time. I LOVE these little bikes. We’ve made friends through the struggle. I just wanna make it awesome for the kid- and not like ooh look? A sticker lol. I’m rambling. But again- thank you all!!!

#9 ·
a rider tipping the scale at 60#s is gonna fly on an 80/85... but at 10 years old, he is getting to that age quickly!

being that he is not very heavy just yet, maybe a kx60/65 would be good, still tons of power over the xr70 and would suit a feather weight much better in my opinion

keep an eye out for other 4 stroke honda trail bikes, they are a great way to familiarize yourself with a bigger sized bike without the big step up in power

xr80 and xr100 can usually be found in rough shape at a bargain price

#10 ·
t on mods are worth it

Btw. I’m gonna drop a tooth on the front sprocket. I’ve looked around the web both eBay and known vendors. Is there one company that’s better than the others? Any to avoid? And is there anything particular about the xr70 that will cause me to have to do any modification to a new aftermarket sprocket to make it fit? This is a cheap part and I figure wth- let’s see what all the talk is about dropping the front sprocket a tooth or 2

#12 ·
I’m really tempted to get him a little 2 stroker but it would draw heat where he rides. We’re trapped in the city( I’m failing as a dad!). The BBRRRAPPPP!!! That my neighbors dealt with growing up isn’t doable behind where I live. I’ve already had people call the cops on me when he was riding his xr50. Thank god I got a cool LEO and a charismatic little boy. Was warned though and I’d hate to get him a bike he loves and only be able to ride it when I have time to drive an hr to the closest open track. Texas loses to Nee York for places where you can ride on public land and not get harrsssed by the law

#13 ·
Not many bike shops on Austin to either. A few dealerships that will order and mark up. I found a few but all they carry are parts for the new current big 4 bikes. I was pleasantly surprised to find s good set of tires today to replace the original tires on his 70. Long overdue. Between the new tires and his new shock I can’t wait to watch him ride this weekend. Now if this torrential bi polar Texas weather would just quit

Attachments

#16 ·
And once again. Thank you sir. I had already ordered one today before I saw your post. I think I’m gonna start buying from tbolt though when I can. Well his 70 fell over and broke the throttle assemble. Bought an aftermarket from cycle gear and it won’t work with the oem cable. Oh well. New assembly arrives Saturday so he’ll just have to suffer and ride the 80 til then. Now about that 80. Planning on adding a tooth(more? 2 maybe?) to the front sprocket to try and do something about the horrible gearing on it now. When I went to buy it the guy couldn’t get it to run without some stumbling mid range so he bought an aftermarket carb. I got the oem carb with the bike and I am planning on rebuilding it. And I hope it doesn’t turn into the month long Odessy the the 70 carb did. I’m gonna put a UNI filter on the 80 as well so I’ll be researching that. Other than that-aside from the 80 being a little heavy for him the bike suits him. The suspension is genuine compare to what he’s had previously in his xr50 and xr70. I had a ttr90 for a bit but he didn’t like it as much as his xr. Updates to come. Hope everyone had a great day and has a great Easter weekend

#17 ·
Well dang it! What a bummer. I put new tires on my sons 70. They grip great in the dirt but I think they slowed the bike down some. A friend made a track at his property for a pit bike he bought and never rode. I wasn’t expecting much but the track was awesome- the kid had the best time ever on his bike. Fast forward. I noticed the petcock was leaking so I just ordered a new one for now and a rebuild kit because I like oem. Stopped my self from buying an FMF pipe because it’s just a 70 and I have to keep reminding myself of that. But I did order a 14 tooth front sprocket. Here’s the deal. My son is 60lbs and doesn’t give a hoot about torque or bottom end. I changed the sprocket and was all excited. He took it for a spin and came back and said yeah it’s got more torque. But he had this look. So I started wondering and asked him. Did you crash? You look funny- what’s up kid? So he says- Dad, I know what torque is and it starts quicker now but it’s slower.......... Then it hit me. This forum is a bunch of grown men and these mods are to make these “mini” bikes more suitable to haul an adult rider. DUH!! It takes 5 minutes to swap the sprocket so I’m gonna have him hit my friends track and see which gearing he prefers. I think now that at his size the stock gearing may have been ideal for him-almost like Honda had planned it that way-lol! I got little things like new grips and a new throttle cable for the bike but I think the kid may be more excited about the stickers that came with the sprocket than anything else I can do to the bike. I cut the screen out of the airbox and I think I stole some bottom end from the bike so I may just buy a new one and put it back to stock. I was gonna buy an UNI filter and re jet the carb- even considered buying a bigger carb and intake but now I realize all I need to do is service this bike and put gas in it to keep the kid happy. I so enjoyed fixing this little bike up and I cannot express the joy I feel when I see how much he loves riding it. But I had an epiphany that it is for him and not for me. I hope I am instilling in him a life long live if motorcycles that I have enjoyed. Many people are trying to tell me to just get him a 2 stroke 80 or 85 but that looks a little different through my eyes as a parent then it did as a child myself. I thank you all for your advice and patience. I will keep looking for these little machines to tinker with but I fear they are getting rare as in either in new condition and 1k or beat up and old and 1k. I have a local ad up looking for project bikes and this is the only response I’ve gotten in a month and the guy is serious. Problem is- I may be dumb enough to try and do it. But not for the $300 hes asking. Bummer! The kids bike is done and I don’t have anything to keep me busy in my free time now. But wait- his 80?!

Attachments

#18 ·
Omg. Here we go again!! So I got parts in the mail and don’t sleep so I drained the tank, changed out the throttle cable and then installed the new petcock( not oem!!) because the original would drip occasionally. All proud of myself for not making a mess and as I’m getting ready to fire the bike up before I put it away just to make sure it still runs I notice has all over my boot. The new petcock leaks like hell. I noticed the nipple is quite larger than the original but it’s leaking from the front 10mm bolt. I’m hoping I didn’t overtighten the bolt and now I’m looking at a new tank. I can’t have gas leaking all over the kid when he’s riding. Do ya think the bike is mad at me for my last post?! Lol. Oh well. I’m done for tonight. And I sure hope I don’t have to buy a new tank!

#19 ·
Make sure the tank is flat where the petcock bolts on. If not belt sander and resurface it. The rubber needs a semi flat surface to seal.

#20 ·
Yeah. I know. I bought a cheap Chinese crap petcock and it’s just junk. I replaced the o ring in the stock petcock and it is working fine. I found out I don’t have to deal with the seller directly after I read a bunch of bad reviews about this type of thing. It’s just the waste of time( and garage full of gas ) that’s bugs me

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.