PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here I am once again relying on the knowledge of this forum. My kids current bike- a clean 1999xr80r has bee nib outgrown. But I’m keeping it to chase him and in the mean time trying to make it a little cooler for the boy. I’ve been searching furiously for a used aftermarket exhaust with zero luck. I’m by chance I came across a big gun mini evo series exhaust nib that someone bought for a klx110 but it’s wrong. Before I drive the 2 hours to physically see if it fits his bike can someone tell me if they are close in size and shape. Now of course it says fits klx110 and drz110 on the box but if it was the wrong part put in the wrong box do I just tale a chance? Man! His xr50 and xr70 were SO MUCH easier to source parts for!

·
Super Moderator
10,027 Posts
The KLX110 engine is a horizontal-style engine like the XR/CRF 50/70 engines, the pipe will not work at all on the XR80 vertical-style engine.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The KLX110 engine is a horizontal-style engine like the XR/CRF 50/70 engines, the pipe will not work at all on the XR80 vertical-style engine.
Yeah. I was just looking at diagrams. Maybe I’ll find a place to post the exhaust in here so someone else can snatch it up.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Can you get pictures on the big gun exhaust? maybe that'll help. Also, Saw someone on facebook post an FMF today.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
That definitely looks closer to fitting your chassis, that is for sure NOT for a KLX / DRZ 110

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And I’ve been watching Craigslist everyday. I can’t get Facebook marketplace for some reason. I looked on my daughters phone and couldn’t even find more than a few bikes
I was thinking that just from looking at it too. It’ll be a ride but I’ll bring the bike. And for the price I’ll take the chance. I know fmf is the popular exhaust but don’t what I can find- big gun seems to be better than the stick exhaust. I’ll keep yas posted

·
Super Moderator
10,027 Posts
It appears that part of the confusion with this pipe is the fact that that Big Gun's webpage for the XR/CRF 100 pipe has a picture of a pipe that is for a CRF or KLX horizontal-style engine, as seen HERE .

As chubbs stated, it looks like it may fit.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It appears that part of the confusion with this pipe is the fact that that Big Gun's webpage for the XR/CRF 100 pipe has a picture of a pipe that is for a CRF or KLX horizontal-style engine, as seen HERE .

As chubbs stated, it looks like it may fit.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well fellas? Close but no cigar!! Took the chance and drove a good but didn’t even haggle because the poor people had a receipt with a disturbing total on it that matched the package. Pulled it out of the box,sized it up, chatted a bit and left. Well? Sure wish I had done my due diligence and bought wrench’s because when I got home and pulled the side cover and removed the stick exhaust I was buzzing that elation quickly turned to the ol Charlie Brown wha wha wha when I tried to bolt her up- see pics! On top of that since it mated to the exhaust port- me still thinking I was gonna turn into a wizard machinist and make this work couldn’t resist seeing how it sounded- and boy did it sound AWESOME!! To my highly trained 5 yr old brain in a 52 year olds body. So I did what any responsible person would do- I went for a rip!! After that and realizing I now know how my dogs felt when I caught them eating the garbage- I took the no longer NIB exhaust off and put things back to right. Didn’t want to shell out 3 large for an exhaust but now I will plus what I gambled on this exhaust which will rob any air in the garage til my death But

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
View attachment 273838 Well fellas? Close but no cigar!! Took the chance and drove a good but didn’t even haggle because the poor people had a receipt with a disturbing total on it that matched the package. Pulled it out of the box,sized it up, chatted a bit and left. Well? Sure wish I had done my due diligence and bought wrench’s because when I got home and pulled the side cover and removed the stick exhaust I was buzzing that elation quickly turned to the ol Charlie Brown wha wha wha when I tried to bolt her up- see pics! On top of that since it mated to the exhaust port- me still thinking I was gonna turn into a wizard machinist and make this work couldn’t resist seeing how it sounded- and boy did it sound AWESOME!! To my highly trained 5 yr old brain in a 52 year olds body. So I did what any responsible person would do- I went for a rip!! After that and realizing I now know how my dogs felt when I caught them eating the garbage- I took the no longer NIB exhaust off and put things back to right. Didn’t want to shell out 3 large for an exhaust but now I will plus what I gambled on this exhaust which will rob any air in the garage til my death But View attachment 273839 View attachment 273840
God forgive me for my typing and grammatical errors

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
A sawzall and a ball peen will fix that, just sayinf

couldn’t grab a link off my phone so here’s the screenshot

·
Registered
82 Posts
So here I am once again relying on the knowledge of this forum. My kids current bike- a clean 1999xr80r has bee nib outgrown. But I’m keeping it to chase him and in the mean time trying to make it a little cooler for the boy. I’ve been searching furiously for a used aftermarket exhaust with zero luck. I’m by chance I came across a big gun mini evo series exhaust nib that someone bought for a klx110 but it’s wrong. Before I drive the 2 hours to physically see if it fits his bike can someone tell me if they are close in size and shape. Now of course it says fits klx110 and drz110 on the box but if it was the wrong part put in the wrong box do I just tale a chance? Man! His xr50 and xr70 were SO MUCH easier to source parts for!
Hey Texasdad
XR80s are a great bike got a few XRs myself still racing them here in Australia in the Viper moto cross series
I had to hand make and modify a few earlier XR parts to fit the 80 but you can still buy new bits XR Mini racer in the States {Alex Judd} has a web site and sells trick XR exhausts have brought a bit off him over the years ,my XR80 i ended up making cutting and adding a old PK reverse megaphone to it [you tube video link below ] also a XR100 pipe should fit the 80 i've got a 1986 XR100 with a pro circuit pipe with a hand made power bomb i did myself bike sounds good but the XR80 sounds better with the old reverse megaphone pic of the XR100 as well
17950937_103813316842719_2837385073685168128_n.jpg

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hello in Australia!! I may well just end up with an fmf exhaust if any. I recently had a local guy look the bike over and found what I was missing. The previous owner installed a Chinese carb on a near mint bike? Well it worked but always felt like it had a ball and chain attached to it. I’ve done valves and timing by way of YouTube and the internet. Turns out there was 1/2”-5/8” slack in the throttle cable due to the carb differences. Once he fixed that it feels like twice the bike. I made a deal today to buy a 2006 cr85r and my son will get it for this Christmas. So suddenly punching out the xr doesn’t seem so important. I got the original carb from the seller and will rebuild it. Do the airbox mod and call it good. I’m 6’2” and 220lbs. I don’t think I’ll be doing any motocross on his bike but I just need something to follow him on. While my son can ride I still don’t want him out of hearing distance on the trails- especially since he’s moving up to the 85. I also looking at making a deal on an 2002 xr100 we may have a bigger, tamer bike for him to ride trails. He’s shy of 4’ tall and only 80lbs so he’s still quite a ways from a bigger bike. I sure wish I had kept his xr50 and xr70. It would be cool to look in the garage and see all of his bikes lined up. And who knows/ I bet they’ll still run when he has kids of his own. Thanks to all for the advice. I will check out the guy you mentioned. Just don’t know how much I want to put into the 80 anymore.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts