PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My engine has developed a slight oil leak. It appears to be around the oil seal that is on the stator and seals around the crankshaft where it extends into the flywheel.

I've ordered a new oil seal and plan to install it when I get it but I need to be sure I am installing it correctly and using the correct method.

I've included two pictures below of the back of my stator plate. Is the oil seal installed correctly in picture #1 or picture #2?

Picture #1 depicts the oil seal with the lettered face oriented so it is facing into the engine.

Picture #2 depicts the oil seal with the lettered face oriented so it is facing away from the engine.

So which is the correct orientation for the oil seal on the stator?

Also, when I install the new oil seal should I use any silicone or anything or just press the seal into place dry?

Finally, what is the best method for installing an oil seal like this? Use your thumbs, a hammer, screwdriver handle, etc.????

Thanks for any help you can offer.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
The second picture is correct. I like to use a little brake cleaner on seals (makes them slippery then evaporates) and push them in with thumbs till flush. Dont use silicones.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts