PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have this really nice oil cooler setup and since the proper way to set these up is to have the lines on top, every time I want to change my oil, I have to take the oil cooler off, which is a PIA.

Anyone have a solution that I could drill and put in the bottom of my oil cooler like a petcock? The wall thickness of what I want to drill into is relatively thin, so whatever solution we come up with will need to have a crush washers or rubber washers in use on both sides and a nut on the inside for support.

So...anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
THere are some darn good epoxies out there. Not to mention good ol J&B.

I would be concerned with asthetics really, but a 1/8" NPT valve might work with a good epoxy fillet.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
It would need to be a bolt with a flange for a crush ring. Unless it is an actual NPT bung stopper like the drain hole in a trailer boat.

One of the Canadian members welded a bung on his cooler. tblumer was it?

·
Registered
981 Posts
I welded a bung to mine (I laugh everytime I say "bung" reminds me of Bevis & Butthead "T.P for my Bunghole!") Haha, anyway... I welded one on for a temp sensor. But I made mine out of aluminum stock, I cut and bored it on the lathe then tapped it with a 1/4" NPT (I think) tap then drilled a hole in the side of the cooler and welded it on.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
tblumer said:
True that, we get out share of Canadian drivers passing thru too, no offense to tmas, but they are sucky drivers

Tmas is from Eastern Canada, not Western Canada. Just a little disclaimer so as not to bunch all us canucks together:p

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I drilled out a hole in the bottom, tapped it to an npt 1/8" thread (two threads)...turned it in, and brazed it over with one of those low temp aluminum weld rods. Works perfect.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
fatcaaat said:
I drilled out a hole in the bottom, tapped it to an npt 1/8" thread (two threads)...turned it in, and brazed it over with one of those low temp aluminum weld rods. Works perfect.

Well done! Can we see a pic?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts