PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Vendor
3,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are you all using for oil catch cans?

Looking for more ideas, thanks.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Gerber (and a couple others) make rigid baby bottles that are a bit bigger than the average closed fist. They withstand heat, and have a reduce radius around the middle, giving them a 'waist' that makes them easy to locate with zipties. They've proven crash worthy in my use. Lightly fill with air filter foam, and if you can see any sort of high tide line, it's time to empty them as you've overwhelmed the foam's ability to keep things suspended.

·
Registered
673 Posts
if your not too worried about quality but something that will work then just use any small bottle with a twist cap like i did and drain the gas when you need to with ease.

old pic of mine.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Mini Low Carb Monster can for now, thats just cause I couldn't get my other can ready. I will be using an old fuel filter off my chevy, the engine breather fits in it perfect, so I just need to make some minor mods before its ready.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
magiksc said:
Post some pics man.

Dont have up close pics of the compressor filter but you can get them at Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

the compressor filter looks like this though

inlet side comes from either head breather or case breather and i leave the exit side vented or you can add a mini breather filter to it. uses standard npt fittings

as for the carb, small shampoo bottles with the screw on cap works. i wouldnt route the vent and drain to the same bottle though. I did that once and the bottle filled up and blocked the vent tube which caused stalling... ruined my race.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
A good 8oz plus capacity plastic bottle that is fuel/oil proof with a vent hose out, and foam inside it to absorb liquid so as to not spill it onto the track or worse onto your HOT bike and burn it to the ground:D

·
Registered
153 Posts
i understand the can is to keep fluids from leaking onto the ground, but where do they come from?

what is the point of having a hose off the drain of your carb? do people really dump their bowls that much?

sorry for sounding like an idiot.. haha

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
The idea is your bike should never spill ANYTHING on the track. Even if you turn it upside down and shake it like the nerdy little kid next door when you think he's holding out on you for lunch money payments. Gas eats pavement, and causes slick spots on pavement or concrete. Oil creates slick spots on all surfaces that are a PITA to clean.

So, yes, you want your carb vents run to a catch bottle. Any motor vents, catch bottle. Liquid cooling? Bottle it.

See the pattern? : )

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.