PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The mailman showed up yesterday with my special package. Its a Honda CR85 motor with a high compression 105cc Supermini big bore kit, fully ported cylinder, modified head, V-force 3 Supermini reeds, Ported 28.5mm Mikuni flat slide carb and custom RCE shifter kart pipe. This motor should be a real monster in the NSR. The only problem now is that I assumed there were lighting stators available for the CR85 and I was totally wrong...lol. There is no such thing so now I have to fabricate a custom stator so I can run lights off this motor. I thought about running a big battery pack with LED lights but I don't want to half-ass this build. Since I will be riding the bike on the street I want everything to function properly.

I will have some more build pics soon. For now I'm leaving the stock motor in it until its plated. Its already enough of a headache trying to convert the "off highway" title to a street title (which by the way is impossible to do in FL now) Its good to have connections!

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
Sweet so you have the motor!! Yeah the lighting setup is an issue, I never bothered making a stator even though I had done the drawings for it and material.

I went with the 18 mins of light setup on an 18W bulb option! :D The bike was a daytime rider anyhow, just occasionally had to leave the party early to get home before dark!

These days with LED's you can get an easy 2 - 3 hrs off a lightweight 12v AA battery pack which is the option I'm going with for my bikes.

Should be fun build, be interesting to see how you cut and weld the pipe to suit the bike as I was looking at those karting pipes at one point.

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
Chrome-CRF said:
The mailman showed up yesterday with my special package. Its a Honda CR85 motor with a high compression 105cc Supermini big bore kit, fully ported cylinder, modified head, V-force 3 Supermini reeds, Ported 28.5mm Mikuni flat slide carb and custom RCE shifter kart pipe. This motor should be a real monster in the NSR. The only problem now is that I assumed there were lighting stators available for the CR85 and I was totally wrong...lol. There is no such thing so now I have to fabricate a custom stator so I can run lights off this motor. I thought about running a big battery pack with LED lights but I don't want to half-ass this build. Since I will be riding the bike on the street I want everything to function properly.

I will have some more build pics soon. For now I'm leaving the stock motor in it until its plated. Its already enough of a headache trying to convert the "off highway" title to a street title (which by the way is impossible to do in FL now) Its good to have connections!

What's under that flywheel? I'd guess you could probably wrap the stator coils and produce close to 100w with about $12 worth of materials.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I remember I was thinking to use something like a TZ125 lighting coil which powered the powervalve on the pre 94 models as it has a similar sized flywheel to the CR85.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fatcaaat said:
What's under that flywheel? I'd guess you could probably wrap the stator coils and produce close to 100w with about $12 worth of materials.

It only has a single bar style ignition coil. I am thinking about getting another one like it to wrap for light output and mounting it to the opposite side of the stator plate.

Attachments

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
fireman_343 said:
Very cool.. Should be a fast bike for sure!

Thanks, can't wait to rip it up.

Luckystar64 said:
Awesome! Who is going to build a pipe for you? Be careful on the street. That bike will be hard to see in traffic. --L*64

I will build the pipe myself. Have done a lot of fabrication work in the past. The pipe will be fairly simple. Just need to cut the flange section off and rotate it 90 degrees so the pipe will come out underneath the motor.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Little update since I last posted pics. I had the motor pulled apart and noticed some serious water damage. The water pump impeller was rusted solid and would not spin. The gaskets and seals were also shot and it was leaking between the cases/crank. I had the whole thing disassembled and rebuilt with all new gaskets/seals, crank bearings, circlips, wristpin etc. While it was apart I had my guy who polishes all my bikes do the entire motor from cases to top end. It came out pretty sick! Now I'm just working on fabbing up the motor mounts.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Damn that's purty! I wish I had the cash and time to do that to my 92 WR250 project motor...

In any case, my WR uses the same style stator as that CR85. It has a second coil for lighting, stock is good for maybe 40w, there is an upgrade that'll get 60w peak, but thats about all you can hope for with a single pole setup like that.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Kurlon, I am having the carb polished too. It just doesn't look right with that dull gray color...lol.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
If you can, get the engine rubber mounted like the early model RS125.

It's smoother and will prevent the frame from eventually cracking.

I've seen two CR85 engined NSRs have frame cracks from the buzzy engine

now probably more so since you have the 105 kit.

You might want to talk to the fabricators that put CR85 engines into the 125 GP bikes.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
wow, nice n shiney.. and x2 on the price, not what you paid but what it might cost for the average joe to send stuff to your guy

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
He polished everything for $200.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just another update. I finally got my pretty 6-spoke NSF wheels from Japan after waiting 7 weeks. The motor is now fully polished front to back and RM Stator is building me a custom lighting stator for the CR85 motor that should be done any day.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Looking forward to seeing more updates on this one. Should be dangerously fast!

Just curious, where are you getting your headlight, taillight and blinkers from?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Branyers said:
Looking forward to seeing more updates on this one. Should be dangerously fast!

Just curious, where are you getting your headlight, taillight and blinkers from?

The black number plate on the front of the NSR is removable and a stock Honda XR650 headlight will mount right into the hole. I bought an LED taillight and blinkers on eBay. You just need a regulator and handlebar control from Baja Designs or somewhere similar to control everything.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Cool.

I once had a kx80 motor mounted in a YSR. I used 2 rechargable 6v gel batteries, one just for the headlamp and the other to power the rest of the lighting. The two fit nicely within the YSR battery tray. I would charge up the night before each ride........ ;)

With todays technology, it should not take much effort to power up 12v lighting ........ in case the stator does not work out.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I was running my lights off just the battery for a little while. Doesn't take long for the lights to eat up all the juice, especially if your headlight is more than 30W. I'm going to pick up a JDM NSR50 wiring harness and go all out so I won't have to cut my ride time short.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts