PlanetMinis Forums banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

· Registered
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
OK-- So I told ya I'd get busy on the front mounts for the RS/NSF250 tail section I'm running. It seems like it'd be easy enough, but the ubdertail exhuast complicates things a bit. I decided to have John fab up some flat plates and weld them into the V-shaped subframe area. Not only did this provide a location to add "bosses" to attach the front ears of the tail, but it adds some additional rigidity to the frame in the event of a crash.

I don't know if you can tell from the pics I posted, but the plates have a crease in the middle so they will meet with the top rails, as the top and bottom rails aren't parallel. The mounts came out great, and as always, the tail fits perfectly.

With this-- the subframe is finished with the exception of a couple small braces I want welded on the back, and I was going to use a hole saw to take out some material in the plates we welded on to save a slight amount of weight, and to enhance the looks. You won't see them anyway as the tail will be hiding the handywork. It'll need bead blasted, and I'll bolt it together and post some pics.

Attachments

· Registered
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
After a brief hiatus due to a tornado in my area, and another ensuing flood, I was back at it again at the shop today with John the metal fab God. The subframe is now finished-- looks great!

Today we adressed the janky welded on lower fairing support tabs. Ground them off, and we're doing something that will be in line with the rest of the project so far. Here are some pics of where we're at with it. As usual-- I'll keep ya posted on the progress. --L*64

Attachments

· Registered
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Today we finished up the lower fairing mounts. Quite a bit trickier than what ya would think. This was a mod that really doesn't enhance performance in any way, it was done mostly in the spirit of adding coolness. The metal IS a bit thicker than what was there stock, but I can't kid ya. The janky tabs held in place with a big, globby weld, wasn't going to cut it on this build.

We cut the stock mounts off after John took some measurements. (Don't forget that I have two NSF's, and we have the stock frame sitting around for reference. It came in handy with this area of work) He fabbed up some new metal tabs, then tacked them into place. We re-measured to make sure they were in the right spot before they were welded permanently into place. After they were welded into place, John went to work grinding the welds, and shaping the brackets to look like a solid piece. We saved some time by re-using the threaded nuts from the original pieces. I think it looks great. I posted a pic of what it looked like stock, and a couple more of how it looks now. Much cleaner IMO. I'm pleased with it so far, hope you guys are enjoying it too. --L*64

Attachments

· Registered
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
Got a little bit done today. My fabricator, John has been busy doing things that pay better than my project, so I've had a little down time. I'm closing in on getting the fab work on the frame done for sure. Just a few odds and ends left. Today we beefed up the braces on the down tubes that hold the motor with a heavier guage steel, and welded up a mount to hold the coil. I wanted to beef the down tube braces b/c the engine will likely have quite a bit more horsepower than stock. Here's a coupla shots of todays' work. I hope to get on it again later this week. --L*64

Attachments

· Registered
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)
Went back to work on the project today for about an hour. had to put the engine in to check the fit of the little bracket that holds the clutch cable. Kinda tricky in that it has to fit just right, or the cable won't pull cleanly. Looks pretty good, and there is some adjustment still available on both ends. We needed to remove this in order to get the square subframe rail welded into place. You can see that the coil bracket is now a removeable affair.

We thought we were finished with the main frame today, but when we were giving it the final once over-- we found a crack in the lower rear motor mount. John is either going to fix it, ar make a new one. After that-- it goes to bead blast and it's finished. We do have a couple hours of work to do to the swingarm. Gotta add some threaded lugs to bold the rear stand spools to, and make some better brake hose holders. So we're closing in on the fab end of the project. after that, I'll start a new thread with the rest of the build. It's coming out really nice so far! I'll post up after the final bead blast. --L*64

Attachments

· Registered
562 Posts
My goal in life is to try and figure out how to create a frame slider set up on my stock Nsr50
Other then having to be stuck with the set up that bolts up to the rear sets.
For one I can't find a set nor non one makes then anymore .
I stare at my bike trying to figure an alternate way place to put a frame slider set up...I want the set up to be in the middle or where when the bike goes down it lands right in the sliders .
The only area I have found that would position sliders like this is on the frame right under the back of the tank but the metal not very think abs I feel if I drill into it I may create a crack eventually or create a weak point in the frame ,.having the bike cone down real hard on sliders on that frame area might bend the frame ..I just haven't found a solution or set up .
Noticed some big bikes kits using clamps and long rods ..

· Registered
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
I've seen a cool setup before, where they welded a side to side frame brace across the frame spars that stuck out a bit from the spars and body panels. They then attached big nylon/delrin sliders to each end. It worked pretty well, and the guy would crash all time too. If you run that in conjuction with the rearset sliders-- you should be good to go. The obvious solution would be to keep from crashing though.... --L*64

· Registered
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
As far as I can tell-- the fab work on the main frame is now finished. I still need to get some work done to the swinger. I'm getting some lugs welded onto it so I can attach the spools that the rear stand will hook into. I will post some pics when I get it back here. I can assure you that it looks fantastic! It has taken four years, and several different fab guys, but my old bud John got her done in fine fashion. I'll start a new thread soon to doc the rest of the build. I'm hoping that my build will be one of the nicest, and most detail oriented F3 NSF racers on the planet! --L*64

· Registered
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
FINAL FRAME PICS HERE!!! Hey gang! Hope y'all had a happy Thanksgiving. It was a special Thanksgiving here at the fine Luckystar residence, in that we were joined by a very properly executed, NSF main frame conversion to an RS125/NSF205R tail section. Not only did we convert the tail, I cleaned up the production line chintziness of the rest of the frame. I have it set up to use all the stock hardware, and I wanted it to look, and perform like it was from the factory.

It took 4 fabricators and three and a half years from the start to get it done, but I would have to say the mission has been accomplished. Thanks to the intricate work of my old H.S. bud and fabricator John G. for putting up with my demands! I still have a little work to do on the swinger, which I will post pics of when I get it done. It's been at the fab shop for 9 months, glad to have the project home. Don't forget that it hasn't been painted even-- just blasted. Looks so good, I was actually thinking about just clearing it. Stay tuned for the last step of the job, and let me know what ya think. I liked it so much, I have it on display in my kitchen for now. Moto-- art indeed! --L*64

Attachments

· Registered
977 Posts
about damn time, lmao

looks freakin awesome! so now that the frame is done and you spend XXX money and time to get it right, dont cheap out on the rest of it.. titanium parts, takagawa parts, maybe some light weight marvack wheels. and some pimp powder coating and paint to top it off!!

· Registered
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I'm planning on a super cool F3 setup. Can't exceed 100cc's, so I've talked with Stormin Normin about a Take head for the stock jug and piston. I just picked up a nice XR100 bottom end off of Ebay that I plan to build a little. When this thread is finished next week, I'll start a new thread with the rest of the build. If you know me-- I won't disappoint. --L*64

· Registered
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Hey All! It's been a long $h!tty winter here in NE Ohio, and I was busy working. My fab guy was slammed at his shop, so I've had 6 months off on the project. I stopped by the shop the other morning, and John told me that he had a coupla free hours to do some fab work for me yesterday. I'm basically done with the main frame, so now I just needed some work on the swinger, then off to get painted.

The work on the swinger basically has to do with shaving a couple unnecessary brackets that hold that ridiculous chain guard. Then I needed some brackets made, and welded on so I can run the spools that the hooks on the stand hold onto. Almost finished, and I'll post up after I get them done. --L*64

· Registered
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Fab work is all finished on the main frame and swinger. They will be heading off to paint pretty soon here. I'll post some pics when I get around to it, of the work on the swing arm, and some more of them when they get back from paint. --L^64

· Registered
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Back from the dead! I had to shelf this project due to a gang of drama. I ended up selling my house and moving, along with a bunch of other crap. I plan on working with this bike again before too long! --L_64

· Registered
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Got a couple HRC boxes from my local dealer today. I was using the 6 spoke NSF wheels that came on this bike on my NSR50. Even though the 3 spoke NSR50 wheels are hella expensive- if you can even get them anymore- I really dig the NSF 6 spokers. I figured I'd keep them on the NSR50, and I got a new set of wheels for the NSF. Trying to figure out the current race classes at my local club to decide what I want to do with the engine that's going in. I'll keep you guys posted. --L*64

41 - 57 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.