PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

· Registered
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since we're on the subject, I decided to doc my F4 NSF100 build. I got a new NSF100, but I feel waaay to cramped on it to actually ride it. And I'm only 5'5!

Not much going on just yet-- but I'm planning on having a company called Framecrafters in Illinois set up an NSR50 frame (I got one off of Ebay) for my NSF build. I coulda just used the stock NSF frame, but I didn't want to hack it up, when I got an NSR frame for $150 shipped.

I'm going to have F/C remove the NSR50 subframe, and weld up a new one that mimics the frame from the RS. The RS tail will fit on like it belongs there after it's done. I will have to have the rear of the NSF exhuast modded as well if I want it to look factory. I know there are less expensive ways to go-- but I wasn't trying to make this a budget build, other than the motor, and that has to stay stock to run in the class I'm running.

Here's a pic of what I got so far-- just a quick preliminary mock up. Lemme know whatcha all think of the idea. --L*64

Attachments

· Registered
711 Posts
AirTech is overpriced and takes way too long for them to make/send out. I got my NSF tail from them last year and spent $260 for just the stupid tail section... $199 for the tail and $60 to ship it!! Are you kidding me.. $60 to ship a lightweight box that isn't that big?? I sent a set of R6 wheels to Cali for $40 via FedEx and it was a huge box that was heavy as hell!! Plus, it took them 2 months to make and ship out!!

· Registered
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK-- that was fast! He got back to me, and he's alive, well, and still glassn'. Here's his #-- (330)209-5128. I told him that you'd call him.

He can make a mold of my NSF stuff if it can be done in a relatively timely fashion. I'm going to need an upper and lower myself, and I really don't feel like dealing with Airtech if it's going to be that much trouble. --L*64

· Registered
166 Posts
I originally asked about rs125 tails a while back because I was looking at different Japanese bikes. What I did not realize at the time was that these were in fact mini rs tails build specific for nsr' and nsf's. You can even buy an extended nsf tail if the one you have is too cramped. These can be purchased through webike out of Japan. Here is what some of the different tails look like...

�f‚X‚W�@‚q‚P

· Registered
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looks pretty cool. I saw those awhile back too. I'm going the full boogie with the reconfigured subframe, and an RS tail. The bike is going to Framecrafters next Friday for plastic surgery...

I've got a couple other really cool little tricks in the works as well. I just got some 8mm T-Rex rear stand spools/sliders, a set of KX85 brake line guides as to eliminate the [email protected]$$ welded on steel rear brake line holders, a set of tapered bearings for the headstem, a set of Michelin Pilots, and I'm looking in to getting the frame nickel plated when it's done. I'm considering Battle Factory rearsets as well. Yes-- alot of the mods are going to be super expensive, and more or less unnnecessary... but I want the coolest NSF ever. The coolness is part of the fun IMO. ---L*64

· Registered
711 Posts
Tony, it won't be as cool as mine!! Lol Plus, mines faster! Muhahahaha

You are crazy with all the crap you are doing to it!! Are you going to get your suspension sorted.., or are ya too busy buying "cool things" like nickel plated frames? Hahha

· Registered
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm going to ride it this year with the stock suspension. After I get a feel for it-- I'll decide what I want to do with it at that point. I want to get the full disassembly and reassembly done now. I can pull the suspension apart later.

If the nickel plating isn't in the budget-- I'm going to go to the auto body supply shop up the street, and get the stock color frame paint mixed up in a rattle can. (They have a primer w/hardener. Then they actually have a scanner that will give them the code for a given color-- the stock Honda frame color in this case. That will give me a base coat/color-- then they have a clear coat with a hardener to finish it up with)

I'm almost wondering if this wouldn't be the better way to go since I'm planning to be racing the $h!t out of this bike. My bud went this route with a vintage dirt bike that he rode and raced-- and it held up really well. This is a road racer-- so it would probably hold up even better, and look pretty decent at a fraction of the cost of plating. It won't be as cool as a nickel plate job, but I'd be able to touch up wear spots as needed really easily. With the $500 or so that I'd be saving-- I could get the suspension done later on, or get the super sweet Battle Factory rearsets I want. --L*64

· Registered
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
THE PROJECT IS BACK ALIVE AGAIN!! So my ride has been away for two years in the hands of a coupla high end fabricators who have found a way to fumble the ball so to speak. But I have her back here now, and it's time to go the next route. After a Corvette project, and two failed NSF project attempts-- I've decided that if you can't find somebody to help you with your project in your own backyard-- sending it out won't help ya any. Anybody ever see the Wizard of Oz? Same lesson.

I DO have the Battle Factory rearsets I wanted, tapered steering bearings, and the RS tail so far. I'm taking it to a fab guy I went to school with (10 miles away from my house where I can keep an eye on him!!) to get done what I want done. I've crept around at his shop, and he does some nice work. He may not be quite as meticulous as Adam Berg, but I'll be looking over his shoulder to keep everything on track. I'll keep y'all posted on the progress. --L*64

· Registered
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK. Same Bat Channel.... here she is on the planning table of the 3rd fabricator. Maybe the 3rd time will be a charm? This guy is local, so I can simply drive over there and light a fire under his ass at will. We'll see how it goes... --L*64

Attachments

· Registered
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
UPDATE!! It's been almost yet ANOTHER year since the last update, AND.... I'm pleased to inform you all that WE HAVE LIFTOFF!

Well-- fabricator #3 dropped the ball along with fabricators #1 and #2. I've sent the project to Framecrafters near Chicago, where they did a 7th grade shop class job for me. Then off to Adam Berg at Settin Trendz. He's a great guy, but never got going on it after 14 months of the bike sitting at his shop all the way in California. Then it went to a local HS bud of mine who is a pretty good local fabricator. After 9 months of no action, I talked to a guy two blocks away who has worked on some impressive drag bike builds for the likes of the late Dave Schultz. I looked at his fab work, then decided to give him a shot. I like him b/c he's a detail freak just like I am, and he won't tolerate any shoddiness. He isn't quite an Adam Berg when it comes to fab skills, but I wanted to ride and race this bike in THIS lifetime if you know what I mean. This guy was willing to get moving on it right away.

Now-- I decided to buy up another NSF100 that came up for sale locally. It had been raced and crashed a bit, so instead of completely converting the used NSR50 frame as I had planned, I decided to hack up the frame from the well used NSF, and put my still new NSF back together as a collector. This way-- there was no drama with motor mounts, as I'm using a stock NSF frame. I'm planning to do a similar project with the NSR50 I picked up to race with while I worked with this NSF project. That will entail converting that frame just like what I'm doing with the NSF100.

So here's where my fab guy is right now. He cut off the stock NSF subframe, and is working on getting the new one roughed in. The one you see is just temporarily tacked in place, other than the lower support, which is being lengthened as the picture illustrates. we are going to machine out the permanent frame rails once the dynamics are worked out. I think it's going to come out nice when it's done. It may end up being half a grade lower than a Settin' Trendz job, but like I said, I want to race this bike.

Let me know what you guys think! --L*64

Attachments

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.