PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2004 CRF70 for my 8-yo daughter for christmas (and a ttr125 for my 11-yo daughter.) I've taken it out on a few test rides and shifting seems a bit stiff for your typical little girl. What is a properly adjusted clutch supposed to feel like?

There's a noticable jerk shifting from N into 1st. If she doesn't have a good grip on the brake it might be enough to upset her balance.

Shifting from 1st to 2nd is the hardest. The manual says to close the throttle when shifting but I found it impossible to kick it into 2nd gear with the throttle closed. Best way seems to be to keep the throttle open and shift while accelerating. Even so there is a pretty good THUNK from the gearbox.

There seems to be much less jerk when shifting into third, probably due to the higher gearing. The gearbox is much smoother while downshifting too.

I followed the instructions in the manual to adjust the clutch but it didn't seem to help much. (Of course... turning until you feel "some resistance" isn't very precise.) The clutch isn't slipping when starting out so I don't think it's worn. Is a heavy gearbox typical for this bike?

TIA.

[As an aside, I haven't been this excited about Christmas in years!]

·
Registered
79 Posts
id suggest adjusting the clutch again.

the procedure for clutch adjustment should be,

-loosen the locknut, turn screw clockwise one turn, and then counter clockwise until a slight resistance is felt, then turn it back 1/8 to 1/4 turn clockwise (so if you went 1/8 turn try about 1/4 turn and it might shift smoother for you).

and make sure your idle isnt too high!!

hope that helps. :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses.

Idle and chain tension are both good. I'm most concerned about the first-to-second shift. It simply will not shift if the throttle is closed even if the rpms are fairly high. (I'm guessing engine braking is backloading the transmission, but I don't know why that would prevent an upshift...)

When I adjusted the clutch the first time I expected the resistance to gradually increase, like when tightening a bolt. Instead it seemed to hit a hard stop, although I didn't use much pressure to see how hard a stop it was.

I'll try adjusting the clutch again. Having never owned this kind of bike I feel I'm poking around in the dark--I have no idea what it is I'm actually changing inside the crankcase or what normal is supposed to feel like.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is exactly the problem I was having. I had no idea holding a half-shift was supposed to keep the clutch disengaged. My original adjustment split the difference between 1/8 and 1/4 turn, but (just as the video pointed out) I found less than 1/8 to be better. Thanks!

(Did you make that video just for me? ;) )

1 - 8 of 8 Posts