PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about running a Motard event or 2 this year.. I'm not finding any 14" motard tires.. I'm guessing they don't exist? Or I'm not not looking hard enough?

Is it a reasonable idea to "de-knob" a knobbie? As there is exactly zero chance that I'm going to buy/relace a front wheel for 1-2 events!

Any other options?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
If you search the threads you will find the only suitable "street" tire in 14 inch is the Michilin Pilot Sport SC RideNow.com Home Page has them in stock they ship usually 1-2 days:cool:

I do not race them but others do with success but they are very fast with thousands of laps on big race bikes............ so they can make not so good tire work for them........

Stik-boy has used them very well:p

·
Registered
356 Posts
There's a reeeally fast guy out this way that runs cheng shin trials tires. For $8 it might be worth a shot. He spanks plenty of guys running 12" this and thats, actually all of them.

·
Registered
754 Posts
sibo said:
There's a reeeally fast guy out this way that runs cheng shin trials tires. For $8 it might be worth a shot. He spanks plenty of guys running 12" this and thats, actually all of them.
that is also the only 14inch tire that i could find for my sons pw80 the other 14's were to wide

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just went the cheap-o route today for my 12/14 setup just to give it a try...I ordered a kenda k-413 120/70-12 for the rear (12x1.85 wheel) and a cheng shen c109 2.75x14 for the front (14x1.4 wheel). I'll post pics in a new thread next week once I have them mounted & I'll keep everyone posted with the results....Figure worst case scenario I'm still out less than $50 for both tires and I'll know for myself if the c109 can get the job done or if its as bad in the performance department as it is in the looks department.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The C109 works okay. I run one on my TTR90 for playing on the indoor kart tracks and parking lot mayhem.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
wefwjefi

crappy tires = crappy results = potentially worse....... DONT think you cant break bones on these things...... i've been road racing for 9 years and never broke anything until i started racing minis. now i have a 3 piece collar bone and broke my leg. trust me...... $50 tires versus $100 for tires....... time off of work for an extra $50 saved will NOT seem worth it...... just my 20bucks... 8)

·
Registered
191 Posts
crappy tires don't make you crash, crappy riding does.

crappy tires just have lower limits that you can push. better tires just let you crash at higher corner speeds.

don't get me wrong, my KLX only runs BT601's, but it's not to say that everyone has to run great tires just to try something out. If he really likes motard, which he will, he can get the proper rims and tire set up knowing he's going to really like pavement riding.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I ran the Cheng Shins all winter long on an indoor track. I even rode them back to back with a quality tire. Nothing stuck as well as the Cheng Shin tire once it was broken in. Keep in mind that this was an indoor track so I'm sure that the surfaces are not the same. Give it a shot and see what happens!

·
Banned
123 Posts
stik__boy said:
crappy tires = crappy results = potentially worse....... DONT think you cant break bones on these things...... i've been road racing for 9 years and never broke anything until i started racing minis. now i have a 3 piece collar bone and broke my leg. trust me...... $50 tires versus $100 for tires....... time off of work for an extra $50 saved will NOT seem worth it...... just my 20bucks... 8)

Missed alot of days at work b/c of minis myself, if you decide its something you like set your bike up right and go with the michelin pilots

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
stan said:
Missed alot of days at work b/c of minis myself, if you decide its something you like set your bike up right and go with the michelin pilots

Wait.. you mean if I run crappy tires I don't have to go to work? AWESOME!

I'm just going to run knobbies! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.