PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
new to the site and i have been reading furiously.

i am looking at chinese imports, are they all a big pos or is it just most of them?

i looked at a orion pro 125, it was only used on a neighborhood street for about 2 hours. it had 2 bolts sheered off on the rear disc, 2 missing from the front disc. the front brake basically only contacts about 1/4 " of the disc so it yields really poor stopping power. the grips are sheeet, the levers are sheeeet. it was basically a running catastrophy. the guy that owns it got it from the manufacturer, he makes the manuals for them.

he also does stunt bike riding so he actually new how to put the bike together.

so are all of these chines bikes crap. i can afford a kawi or honda is that what i need to start with.

i just want something to play with, maybe go to the track once in a while and actually use the bike as a true pit bike when i go to the races.

what i have been most interested in is the new pister lxr 14 and the g2 moto super mid.

thanks

lee

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I dont think you can go wrong with either of those bikes,midsize bikes are alot of fun(14/17).My kid has a Knoker14/17 that he is racing in Areanacross and its been pretty good,just needs more travel.When the pitster14 comes out he will be getting one of those to race in the 85 class.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i thank you guys, i race jet skis. those i know, we laugh at the chinese knock off ski's. but i did not want to buy a 10k pit bike to play on. i just dont want to wrench on it like my ski's

ok anybody got a used g2 mid size or super, doubt i can find a used lrx :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no doo's, polaris has been out of it for a while except for the octane left overs.

i race sport mod, basically total aftermarket based yamaha 701 never die motors. i also race ski spec class again i chose the yamaha 701. 2 stroke heaven

if i have a 4 stroke break i am sol.b

i really only wrench trying to just get more out of them. i have only broke once in the last 4 years of racing and that was a faulty msd coil.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
godocgo said:
i thank you guys, i race jet skis. those i know, we laugh at the chinese knock off ski's. but i did not want to buy a 10k pit bike to play on. i just dont want to wrench on it like my ski's

ok anybody got a used g2 mid size or super, doubt i can find a used lrx :)

You cant find a used lxr because they are not even out yet.You should be able to find a used X4 or tx 150 for a good price

·
Registered
84 Posts
i have a g2moto supermidsize. its my favorite bike to date. (i have a yz250 and a 450 and a g2 125) the supermid has great suspension, is fast, and the perfect size to do everything. im finding that my other bikes sit unridden since i got the supermid g2moto. it just seems like i have the most fun on it and im almost as fast on the big tracks as i am on my big bikes, but i can corner faster on the g2.

a few of my friends bought them after trying mine, so we have a good time racing each on a even field.

ive also converted my supermid back and forth between 14/17 and 12/14, so i plan on racing it in 12" open when needed.

·
Registered
139 Posts
im kinda new to the pitbikes too. i owned a chineese bike for 1 day (***** 125), lets see clutch lever spring broke,nut on cluth lever fell off,clutch didnt work at all after 1 hr of hard riding,faded to nothing,hard to shift gears,both forks blew out,seals leaked and at the top of the forks orings blew out and leaked oil all over my leg,brakes fade really fast with hard use,seat felt like a piece of wood,chained stretched out so bad it was maxed at the end of the day,removed the flywheel cover and reinstalled it,stripped out 2 case bolts putting it back on with very little force.that was it for me. sold it to a buddy and he rode it for a day and sold it too. he bought the new ***** 160 mid and first day riding the caliper fell off and locked up the front wheel.i bought a 03 drz 110 that had a few mods on it for 1500.ive been beating the snot out of it for a month now with not 1 problem. also i feel better when the previous owner told me he has been beating the bike for 3 years striaght. my bikes still feel very solid and i will never go back. i went back an edited out the bikes name since im not into bashing companies and such, lets just say they are all the same, i dont care whos name is on it. and it was one of the good compaines mentioned.my only advice is dont waste your money,theres lot of good deals on quality used bikes out there nowadays

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
raceshop i would appreciate the info on the makes and models in a pm. i know it's not fun to bash on companies. but when your paying .20 an hour labor rate you got to expect some shoddy work. i am more afraid of the metal quality than anything, i can always replace a bolt or 2. if the metal is total crap you can't weld on it either.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
raceshop said:
im kinda new to the pitbikes too. i owned a chineese bike for 1 day (***** 125), lets see clutch lever spring broke,nut on cluth lever fell off,clutch didnt work at all after 1 hr of hard riding,faded to nothing,hard to shift gears,both forks blew out,seals leaked and at the top of the forks orings blew out and leaked oil all over my leg,brakes fade really fast with hard use,seat felt like a piece of wood,chained stretched out so bad it was maxed at the end of the day,removed the flywheel cover and reinstalled it,stripped out 2 case bolts putting it back on with very little force.that was it for me. sold it to a buddy and he rode it for a day and sold it too. he bought the new ***** 160 mid and first day riding the caliper fell off and locked up the front wheel.i bought a 03 drz 110 that had a few mods on it for 1500.ive been beating the snot out of it for a month now with not 1 problem. also i feel better when the previous owner told me he has been beating the bike for 3 years striaght. my bikes still feel very solid and i will never go back. i went back an edited out the bikes name since im not into bashing companies and such, lets just say they are all the same, i dont care whos name is on it. and it was one of the good compaines mentioned.my only advice is dont waste your money,theres lot of good deals on quality used bikes out there nowadays

I have to disagree with this post. What a lot of people forget is over half of the aftermarket parts for these 50's and 110's, ARE made in China. So if the country of origin is the only thing you are worried about, don't be. There are many chinese bikes of reputable quality, and there are many that simply are not. The thing to do is just do a bit of research on SPECIFIC MODELS, look into customer support, and go from there.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
JJW Designs said:
I have to disagree with this post. What a lot of people forget is over half of the aftermarket parts for these 50's and 110's, ARE made in China. So if the country of origin is the only thing you are worried about, don't be. There are many chinese bikes of reputable quality, and there are many that simply are not. The thing to do is just do a bit of research on SPECIFIC MODELS, look into customer support, and go from there.

that was the point of my first post, which china bikes are worth it.

everyone dealer keeps saying look for good customer support. honestly if i really need to worry about how good the support is, then that tells me they expect all there stuff to break quickly.

i have never bought any jap product and had bolts sheer off on the first ride. my sons knock off 70 snapped the front brake lever bolt the first time he had to get on the brakes hard.

you guys ride these bikes, so which ones are worth it. or is this forum driven by the advertisers so you cannot tell truths about certain bikes?

i am not asking for a bash fest of any brand or model just real life experiences, primarily 17/14 wheeled models.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Never tried a 17/14 bike.... but look at:

Pitster X4

SSR150R

Konker 150CNC

Motovert 150

G2 Moto R1

There are other good bikes out there as well, but these bikes are PROVEN, have been ridden hard, raced hard, and are known to work. Will there be quirks? Of course, nature of the best I suppose. But they are your best bet.

Like I said though, there are other good ones, those are just the first that came to mind.

Myself... my only midsize rides have been the KLX110, so I can't give an honest opinion of them as I haven't ridden them. I'll get to try out a SSR hopefully soon and a Medina clone as well, so maybe after I do I can give an idea of how those work.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I just got a Pitster X2 for x-mas. From what i can tell, you better know how to prep a crate bike and do some wrenching. the quality overall is not bad compared to my previous built XR50. I have not been able to ride it yet as i cant keep it running long enough (got a jet kit coming in the mail). Since i have not ridden it yet - i cannot comment on the overall quality. Once i get it running - look for a review post from me.. no bias here - so it may contain some good information.

From my research i like the Pitster and SSr brands so far .. just my opinion.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.