PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so Ive been running the new zonger engine and Ive gotta say im happy on one end, but not so happy on the other. First off, the engine is beautiful. Runs like a scalded dog and seems to be VERY strong. The new clutch/oil filter design is a hit, and the engine seems to shift much better than the previous. However, Im not too pleased with the trans ratio. Im running a 16/39 set up, and cant get it worked out. First gear is much longer and the rest seem to be pretty spot on in the rpm range with every up shift right in the meet of the power. BUT, my problem is with starts. As i said before, first is MUCH longer, but still too short to start in. BUT 2nd is TOO long to start in. When i try to start in second the bike trys like hell to launch, but the clutches slip and I can tell i should be in a lower gear. When I start in first, it shoots off the line, but thats it. I have to grab second when everyone else is getting settled in and in a few more feet about to grab third. I guess Im just wondering what you guys think, and possibly getting some ideas on what i should do to adjust this. Im thinking about trying a 15/39 set up, or maybe a 16/41. If that doesnt work i guess Im gonna have to buy an origional 155z trans and throw in it. The origional was much better in imho. (trans ration wise) Sure there wasnt much of a first gear...but who needs it? Its second gear starts were hard to beat....and I personally never had to touch first. Lets hear what you guys think!

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
Most guys are dropping the front one or adding two or three to the rear.

To bikes gear exactly the same, one with the new trans one the old (we tested this trans in the 155z before they were in the new HOI engines,, the new trans always pulled the old one through the gears, with everything else the same.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Matified said:
Most guys are dropping the front one or adding two or three to the rear.

To bikes gear exactly the same, one with the new trans one the old (we tested this trans in the 155z before they were in the new HOI engines,, the new trans always pulled the old one through the gears, with everything else the same.

So you guys did get a 2nd gear start out of it stock? Thats my on prob man....the rest of it is perfect. So what which do you suggest? down on front or up on rear. Is there any difference in performance between the two? I think I can afford to loose a litte top end...just gotta get my starts dialed as thats always been my strong point.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
I personally went from a 17 40 to a 16 40 in my big engine, mattmoto went down 1 in the front on his and loves it,, second gear starts no problem,,

My big engine second gear starts were possible even with the 17,, but for vegas the 16 seems better around the tight track

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Matified said:
I personally went from a 17 40 to a 16 40 in my big engine, mattmoto went down 1 in the front on his and loves it,, second gear starts no problem,,

My big engine second gear starts were possible even with the 17,, but for vegas the 16 seems better around the tight track

Thanks bro....Im gonna give it a shot. Good luck in Vegas!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1 - 8 of 8 Posts