PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 7 year old son loves motorcycles like most 7 year old boys. He wanted one of those little electric Razor motorcyles for Xmas, which I was more than happy to get him, but then my father-in-law goes and buys him a used Yamaha TTR50. Actually looks in pretty good shape.

Anyway, I guess my first question is whether 7 yrs old is too young for this bike? (he's a little guy for his age and the bike seems pretty darn heavy to me) I'm not an off road motorcyclist so I'm not going to be a whole lot of help with teaching him to ride it or repairing the darn thing for that matter. The last time I rode a bike I was 10 years old myself and crashed into a firends house - thus ending my riding career.

2nd question, we live in a suburban development, this thing is going to tear up my yard I assume, where do you guys ride these things? Open fields I assume? A few miles up the road there is a dirt bike track but it looks pretty big for this bike and for a novice rider - do places like that cater to beginning 7 yr old riders? Does anybody offer lessons for 7 yr olds?

Sorry for the stupid questions - any quidance you can give this newbie would be appreciated.

·
Registered
324 Posts
A (good) track should have a pee wee track for little guys, if not then there might be another in your area. If you dont have finicky neighbors he could ride it in the backyard, being a beginner it wont tear up the lawn really at all, and ttr50 is very quiet in stock form.

I believe(not 100%) that ttr50s have throttle restrictions to limit how fast he could go, but not too sure. I'd suggest picking up an ttr50 owners manual for simple maintenance/repair. The bikes are pretty much bulletproof though.

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
My son has a TTR50..he is 6yo...get some training wheels that mount under the pegs...much more stable...make sure you adjust the throttle to where it will not go full open...yes bike is a bit heavy but it has e-start which is nice...my daughter is 9yo and she can just kick start her Honda 50

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does he ride a bicycle pretty good?

Find a large open & level field & let him get comfortable with it, avoid tracks until he gets the concepts of steering, braking & throttle control. Take a mountain bike to chase him or you'll get winded fast, or better yet get a bike for yourself & make it a family thing.

Seven is a good age to learn, make sure he has all necessary gear (Proper sized helmet, goggles, boots & gloves as well as knee/ elbow pads) as he most likely will wipe out.... just dont freak when he does, it happens to everyone that rides & he'll probably want to get up & try again.

Check this site....Where to Ride - ThumperTalk

Look for local riding areas & call to see if they have an open area for new riders, you may also find info on local riding org's that offer or can refer private instruction.

Lastly, welcome to the sport; Riding is a great family activity

We have bikes for every one in the family from 4yrs up (50cc to 530cc) & ride/ camp as much as possible. Great times:cool:

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
If you could find a used crf50 or crf70, that would be the best way to go. 7yrs old isnt too young. 4 year old kids ride ttr50s without breaking a sweat. like I said, if he has experience with riding a bicycle and can ride on 2 wheels, a CRF70 would be the way.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Unless he rides it into a lake, they are indestructible...a fat guy like me beats on mine lol. I have some upgrades but still, this pic I was in second gear wrecked slip and crashed.Point is you wont have to worry about fixing much. Regular maintenance is a must though Picked it up and didnt have any problems.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for everybody's response. I'm starting to feel a little more comfortable. I'll take some of your suggestions. And yes, he is pretty good on a bike, he does gymnastics at a pretty good level for his age so has good coordination and balance. We live in Western PA which is pretty hilly and a lot of trees, so I'll just have to find a nice open field for him to practice in before he tackles more difficult terrain.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
i had an 06 ttr50 last year, they run forever, i rode it all winter long and always started,

dont worry about weight

get him proper riding gear

a kid isnt going to tear up your yard with a 50

and clean the filter, change the oil, and DO NOT use synthetic

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
kstrs said:
Does he ride a bicycle pretty good?

Find a large open & level field & let him get comfortable with it, avoid tracks until he gets the concepts of steering, braking & throttle control. Take a mountain bike to chase him or you'll get winded fast, or better yet get a bike for yourself & make it a family thing.

Seven is a good age to learn, make sure he has all necessary gear (Proper sized helmet, goggles, boots & gloves as well as knee/ elbow pads) as he most likely will wipe out.... just dont freak when he does, it happens to everyone that rides & he'll probably want to get up & try again.

Check this site....Where to Ride - ThumperTalk

Look for local riding areas & call to see if they have an open area for new riders, you may also find info on local riding org's that offer or can refer private instruction.

Lastly, welcome to the sport; Riding is a great family activity

We have bikes for every one in the family from 4yrs up (50cc to 530cc) & ride/ camp as much as possible. Great times:cool:

my son does not even ride his bike w/o training wheels but he can take his TTR50 around the mini track at Barona Oaks ok...go figure

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
69z72r said:
bigfork where exactly in pa are you from? im from york myself.

I'm out in the Western part of the state, north of Pittsburgh, in Butler, PA.

Anybody in this area have any good suggestions as to where to ride for a 7 yr old? Up the street is Switchback MX track. According to their web site they're closed until March. Any other suggestions from anybody in this area?

Thanks again for everybody's responses, he got it for Xmas this morning and of course was so excited. He doesn't have a helmet yet so he couldn't ride it, but we started it up and he sat on it. He was a little scared of it at first but I'm sure that will go away soon enough.

After seeing it run a bit and seeing clips of the same bike on You Tube, my fears of it tearing up my yard have been relieved some.

I'm sure I'll have many maintenance related questions in the coming months, so hopefully everybody continues to be patient with me :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts