1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1977 XR 75

XR 100 Engine

XR 100 forks

Just need to save up for some new rims, exhaust, shocks and swing arm. An other money pit. LOL

·
Banned
1 Posts
Great start, and "Before" pic! Nothing another $1000 or so can't cure;) Tricked, they get around amazingly well. And, it will hold it's value a HELL of a lot better than another Monster-stickered Chinese clone:)

"After":

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeap gold rims and swing arm, I even want the high exhaust. BBK and call it a fun little money pit.

Does anyone have a stencel for the back grounds? I have a graphics guy that can cut them for me I just need the file.

This and my Z50 are getting passed down to the kid one day. Or I can keep them and give them to his kids when ever he has some (not for along time I hope).

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Exhaust is on the way since the stock cracked from riding. I could reweld it but gave me a reason to buy the new exaust. I'm getting a BBR 120cc kit next week and a set of triple clamps. Picked up HD springs for the forks and traded the shocks from the Z50 (330mm).

·
Banned
1 Posts
Cool. Snake pipe? They made a bunch of different versions, and still do.

FWIW, the TB 120 kit will be in stock any day now.

Lighten the flywheel when you get a chance. It's WELL worth it on the heavy-crank 100 motor.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No I had to get the normal DG repo. I got the 120 kit for free.

How much to lighten the fly wheel?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got my pipe, front springs and BBK to put in one of these days I get some time.

What years CR 80 rims fit to get the 17 front and alloy rims?

·
Banned
1 Posts
lewwh said:
No I had to get the normal DG repo. I got the 120 kit for free.

How much to lighten the fly wheel?

Can't argue with FREE:)

$45 including the trip home for an 11-12oz diet on the flywheel.

Aluminum CR80 rims came along in '82, and '85 was the last of the drum brakes. All were 17". I don't think the 80 got gold rims, stock.

·
Registered
823 Posts
firepower354 said:
Can't argue with FREE:)

$45 including the trip home for an 11-12oz diet on the flywheel.

Aluminum CR80 rims came along in '82, and '85 was the last of the drum brakes. All were 17". I don't think the 80 got gold rims, stock.

Wish I had a decent scale, I'd like to weigh my XR / CR wheels; the weight difference is enough that I can 'feel' it. The CR front end is well worth the effort (dead simple to boot), the CR forks (82-85) are easily 1/2" larger diameter with MUCH improved tuning. If you do decide to go 14"/17" CR wheels, be sure to get the brake plates as well as the hubs are different widths and will make sprocket alignment a pita. Also note the 'stays' for the CR brake plates are also slightly narrower than on the XR brake plate, you'll have to grind the XR stays to make them fit with CR stuff..

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found just a set of rims for cheap might try to lace up until I can save up for my gold ones.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1982 CR80 with a blown motor for 75 bucks! Waiting on a picture to see what is all there. Might go grab that tomorrow.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes, you are an odd ball!

CR 80 has everything I need it's just a 4 hour round trip to get it. I have to wait until next weekend. Don't think to many people are looking for CR80's that dont run.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got the CR80 little rough but it's a project right. The to do list got bigger now.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Took the forks and wheels off the CR80, have to clean them up really good. I'm thinking of a plastic tank for this one since I'll be racing it and save the tank for the next project. I have a perfect 75 tank but need a 77 one. What do you guys think of the plastic tanks?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Couple of weeks I'll post an update. I got my rims just need to lace them up. Swing arm should be done by xmas.

Put in a BBR 120 and a XR100 stiff spring in the forks.

Got another frame to start another one next summer.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Front wheel is laced and got the swing arm. Ordering new plastics this weekend. Have to all back together by the 2nd for a race.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
lewwh said:
Took the forks and wheels off the CR80, have to clean them up really good. I'm thinking of a plastic tank for this one since I'll be racing it and save the tank for the next project. I have a perfect 75 tank but need a 77 one. What do you guys think of the plastic tanks?
What kind of shape are the rear shocks in or the CR?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts