PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I was fortunate enough to pick up a 2003 RM 60 as a basket case. The rod had a bad bearing and the previous owner bought all the parts but lost interest. My original intention was to put it back together and sell it, but after seeing this site I think this one might hang around a while. I don't have very much experience with two strokes so I've been looking up everything I can to get a better knowledge base. So far I've rebuilt the crank, I run a fab shop and had all the equipment needed so I gave it a shot. The hardest part was truing it and that wasn't too bad. Now I'm to the point where I can start engine reassembly. I don't have the service manual and I notice it seems most of them stop at 2002? I've checked the KX manuals as well. Did the engine change very much, I've read it's an old design. I'm not sure about the suspension yet, the bike was cheap and I'd like to keep it that way so I'll probably fab up a mount for a replacement rear like the guy did with the R1 shock. Preload spacers for the forks sound good as well expense wise.

Anybody have some advice to steer a noob in the right direction?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
I'd at least try and get heavier fork and shock springs from Cannon or Minibike springs for it. Those bikes were the same from 1985 until they stopped making them in 2003. Try and get a KLX110 tree off of Ebay so you can run a modern front fender and # plate. It fits just like stock. --L*64

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Lucky, I'll look into the springs and see if they make sense economically for this toy. I won't be racing it, it's just a toy for me at this point but at 220 pounds I bottom out the shock just sitting on it.

Anybody have anything else? I'm new to these as well as 2 strokes so all advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
V-Force reeds may help out the bottom end, but not night and day though. Just ride it, and have fun with it. You'll learn as you go. Be careful, cuz that thing will throw you off of it if you aren't ready for the power to come on. Hahaha! --L*64

1 - 4 of 4 Posts