PlanetMinis Forums banner

New Guy

2K views 51 replies 8 participants last post by  cspcrx 
#1 ·
Hello Members,

I am the new guy...just scored what I think is a 1972 MiniTrail Z50 for my son. Looking to purchase some items to get him riding and hoped someone could steer me to the best place to start. I see lots on Ebay but have not had the best of luck on that sight over the years.

I need:
Carb and Cable
Front fork rebuild kit if they are available.
Seat
Tires and Tubes
Wiring harness

Looking forward to "meeting" you all.

#3 ·
#10 ·
Whichever is cheaper. If you know the carb is the problem and want to keep it original then a rebuild is king. Most repops are gonna be fine function wise, but may not look the part. Throw up some pics! Also worth thinking about if you want to do and engine mods. For mini stuff I’d recommend sticking to Tbolt, chp, dratv, any of the other ones listed prior. They all specialize in minis. I know I’ve had awesome experience with Tbolt and Dratv in the past. Mind you, other places have never wronged me, but Tbolt has awesome resources info wise as well as being located in PA, and Dratv is great for restoration stuff PLUS their shipping is stupid fast. Good luck my friend.

#22 ·
looks like a fairly complete survivor! With some love she can be up and running in now time and looking nice.

my 72 K3 has the 655 carb and I was able to find everything to rebuild it and even larger jets, jets were a tough one. But there are a lot of parts that show up on eBay or resellers like NE Vintage Cycles. Keep us posted on your project.

this site has some amazing resources. I knew nothing about these Z50s and mine was in worse shape than yours and thanks to the members here she looks and run better than ever.

#25 ·
looks like a fairly complete survivor! With some love she can be up and running in now time and looking nice.

my 72 K3 has the 655 carb and I was able to find everything to rebuild it and even larger jets, jets were a tough one. But there are a lot of parts that show up on eBay or resellers like NE Vintage Cycles. Keep us posted on your project.

this site has some amazing resources. I knew nothing about these Z50s and mine was in worse shape than yours and thanks to the members here she looks and run better than ever.

View attachment 276325
Nice Bikes! I have old HD's too....

#32 ·
Yes....all mine are kick and they can be a pain sometimes...usually one kick bikes but whenever people come over to look at the bike as your leaving the bike seems to know and makes you work for it!
Hey Guys,

Can someone point me in the right direction for a fork assembly? My chrome tubes are straight I think but when I look down on the gold tubes on the upper portion they don't look symmetrical. I don't think I can "bend" these back into shape and may have to purchase....CHP does not sell them Chad told me to check Ebay....want to make sure I am hunting the right item...anyone have a lead or a PN I could search?

#36 ·
Also check TBParts as I picked up a fork upper from them in their “clearance” section because the color was off a bit for a great price. My forks had the headlight ears cut off by previous owner so this is the route I took.

if bending works and they are in good shape keep the originals and rebuild them as mentioned above.

#39 · (Edited)
There are a couple of places that sell the the candy gold paint but I have not seen it in spray cans. I believe it’s because it takes three parts in order to get it right, this is what I have read. A silver base is layer down then the candy gold followed by a clear. If you Google Honda z50 paint kits you will see the key sites. I have no experience with them. I believe Marble Motors has them in spray can kits but have not varified.

when I do my “restoration“ on my bike I am probably going to send it to someone like Mikes who is familiar with the colors to get it looking correct.

#41 ·
Hello Gents,

We are getting close. Kicked over and we have spark...need to run fuel line and install throttle and I think she's done.

Two questions:

Is the front tire supposed to be this offset? I see how it will need to be a little to facilitate the brake on but this seems extreme. If not whats the fix? I have the spacer in on the left and its a new triple tree with the original down tubes with new plastic bushings inside.

Second can someone ident the wires for me? I want to use the switch I have but not sure which to connect to ground the coil out to turn off....the others I assume are for a headlight I don't have yet.

Gonna try to fire it up tomorrow if all goes well.

Thanks in advance!

#42 ·
It looks to me like the stub that sticks out of the right lower leg is NOT fitting into the groove on the brake plate. It should almost bottom out in there against the brake plate.
I've seen this before with a aftermarket brake plate...on a CT70.
Also...you should loosen the axle some and nicely compress the front shocks/springs a couple times...make sure everything is moving smoothly and all...before you torque the axle.
Make sure the left and right fork legs are the same length with no weight on them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.