PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all im new to these forums an also the monkey bike building. So i have a few questions im building a monkey for street riding an im needing some help with motor suggestions i want reliability an also top speed. Also im wondering do you mostly podercoat or paint ur frames?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Welcome to the forum, what kind of bike do you have?

The motor depends on your wallet.... Many will disagree, but syuff a big china motor in it and call it a day. If it takes a dump on ya, through it away and buy another n for a couple hundred dollars.... my buddy Chris has a ZB with a GPX 140, reliable, and tops out at 75MPH and Strong. Its not $4K Takegawa motor, but gets the job done.

If your going to paint your frame, powder coated or have it sprayed base coat clear coat. Don't waste your time with spray paint... there's always chrome.....

~Shawn

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
DuckBoy said:
Hey all im new to these forums an also the monkey bike building. So i have a few questions im building a monkey for street riding an im needing some help with motor suggestions i want reliability an also top speed. Also im wondering do you mostly podercoat or paint ur frames?

Update your profile with your location so people can see where you are from.

Paint or powdercoat is subjective. You can't go wrong with either choice so do what is best for you with the resources you have available.

In regards to engine combinations, it all depends on what bike you are starting with and what will fit. Z50A? Z50J? Z50J1, J2? Honda Monkey?

Some of the chinese motors will bolt up but due to the longer cylinder, can cause the head to hit the tire under hard braking.

If you have a 6 volt bike, do you want to stay 6 volt? Are you handy with wiring?

Give us all some additional information to work with so as a group we can point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Im gonna have to agree with shawn on this one, a nice china motor is by far the best bang for you buck. You can have a nice and powerful motor for well under 600 bucks.

Also im more of a powder coat guy for the frame, imo it just holds up better but you could get away with paint alot easier on a road application.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow awsome replys an fast im amazed i feel welcome. I was pointed to this site by brad rynolds but n e ways i have a monkey clone. An what are the advantages of 6v vs. ? like i said im still very new to this. I would consider myself a handy person i was into crf50s before this an discovered monkeys jdm style minis an fell in love i can build rebuild those motors "newer 50" So any pointers sites to educate ETC. would be awsome i tried to search the forums first for this info but didnt really find much just more an more awsome bike pics. Thank you all for your help an understanding an not drilling me for being somewhat stupid about this scene.

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
DuckBoy said:
Wow awsome replys an fast im amazed i feel welcome. I was pointed to this site by brad rynolds but n e ways i have a monkey clone. An what are the advantages of 6v vs. ? like i said im still very new to this. I would consider myself a handy person i was into crf50s before this an discovered monkeys jdm style minis an fell in love i can build rebuild those motors "newer 50" So any pointers sites to educate ETC. would be awsome i tried to search the forums first for this info but didnt really find much just more an more awsome bike pics. Thank you all for your help an understanding an not drilling me for being somewhat stupid about this scene.

Brad will be back next week and I'm sure will jump in. I'll dive into the whole 6V engine vs 12V engine topic when I have some more time.

Your CRF is a 12V CDI motor and that's what you are going to want to stick with. Whether it be an import chinese engine, or if you stay with Honda, that will be up to you.

Does your Monkey clone have a 6V or 12V battery currently installed? That will go along way to tell us what you have in the bike now. It's hard to tell since there are a ton of different Monkey Clones on the market.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
DuckBoy said:
welcome to pm. post up a picture of your bike.

there are a few guys who've started off with monkey clones. we ditched most of the stock stuff and just have fun building them to our liking.

if you can build a crf50 motor you'll be fine.

my only advice is to do it right the first time and you'll be happy in the end. if you really want to get into the more expensive stuff go for it. i've bought crappy parts and ended up buying the pricier stuff i originally wanted.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a 01 jeincheng (SP?) there wasnt a battery on it when i purchased it. An as far as posting a picture i dont think i could untill i do some stuff to it because i use to knock people for buying clones an what knot an now i have one so ya give it time. Also i plan on doing it right from the get go i talked with brad a bit an go a rough estimate of what intrested me. Currently the bike is just sitting while i ride a crf50 (03) on the street. So im really getting pumped on the monkey an i wanna start working on it. What kinda of things can be done by myself with little money that u would recommend.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Definatly dont be ashamed to post the clone man! they can be just as nice for a fraction of the cost! Id be interested in seeing it too, and this post will help me just as much as you because im in the same boat as you being a new guy in the monkey world!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
DuckBoy said:
I have a 01 jeincheng (SP?) there wasnt a battery on it when i purchased it. An as far as posting a picture i dont think i could untill i do some stuff to it because i use to knock people for buying clones an what knot an now i have one so ya give it time. Also i plan on doing it right from the get go i talked with brad a bit an go a rough estimate of what intrested me. Currently the bike is just sitting while i ride a crf50 (03) on the street. So im really getting pumped on the monkey an i wanna start working on it. What kinda of things can be done by myself with little money that u would recommend.

Your Panda should be 6v. If you're going to run any of the newer CRF or China motors, you'll have to convert to 12v. It's fairly easy. You'll need 12v bulbs, rectifier, ignition coil, flasher relay, and battery.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the info. Big Pete i guess i will start looking for these items. Also later on tonight ill run out to the storage where the bike is currently at at an snap a few pics. An thank you for all the info an help so far!!

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Welcome. Nice bike.

FYI, the great thing about the import frames is that it is a little longer than the Honda Z50 frames. I think someone told me it was about a +1.

What are you looking to buy and how much do you want to spend?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Im open to buy anything an everything that intrestest me there really isnt a set budget right now. Im just getting this build starting the bike isnt back to my house yet i am gonna be bringing it home this weekend an try to get the ball moving.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.