PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy. I just recently picked up a mostly complete 69-70 Z50 for my boy and I to restore. The frame is stamped z50a-219xxx which confirms the proper year, but what has me is the fact that it doesn't seem to have a headlight or tail light... and I'm torn on what the factory colors could have been.

Is there any literature you would recommend? Does the frame number decode to identify particular characteristics of the bike? The engine number doesn't match (224xxx), but from what I've read that's relatively normal.

Any info is greatly appreciated!
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

· Super Moderator
3,487 Posts
1969-70 Z50A K1. Should have a Tailight w/ bracket and Headlight which are obviously missing. So are the headlight bucket ears on the forks.

You can see the rear mount for the tailight bracket is still there. Later mount which means it's a Black Tag K1.

Engine & Frame very rarely match. The numbers are close enough to say the engine is original to frame which is great.

Paint is not original. Came from Honda in 3 color combos. Blue/ silver, red/ silver and yellow/ silver.

Battery box appears to be missing as well.

· Administrator
12,674 Posts
1969-70 Z50A K1. Should have a Tailight w/ bracket and Headlight which are obviously missing. So are the headlight bucket ears on the forks.

You can see the rear mount for the tailight bracket is still there. Later mount which means it's a Black Tag K1.

Engine & Frame very rarely match. The numbers are close enough to say the engine is original to frame which is great.

Paint is not original. Came from Honda in 3 color combos. Blue/ silver, red/ silver and yellow/ silver.

You heard it from the expert. Welcome to Planet Minis.
tmas

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Well, that's a bummer. In regards to interchangeable parts... are the front forks specific to 69-70, or will later year forks work? I'd like to restore this thing to bone stock condition, but sourcing parts (and paying up for them when I do find them) might be an obstacle.

From what you're saying this thing is stripped. I'm assuming it should also have plates/registration?

I appreciate the help. Thank you!

· Registered
165 Posts
"I'm assuming it should also have plates/registration? " It would have come with a Manufactures Statement of Origin which, if allowed to be licenced, would have been turned in to the state and a title issued. here is what it looked like-

Font Parallel Handwriting Paper Paper product

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Automotive fuel system

1 - 6 of 6 Posts