PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
I'm a new guy here, and just want to introduce myself.

I've been riding big bikes since about 2018, and started getting into minis once my son decided to start riding. I took him to the SFL Mini GP camp in January, and he's hooked. I got him a CRF50 setup for the track, and he wants me to ride with him a lot. Can't really do that on my bigger bikes, as they raise eyebrows in the neighborhood and don't exactly work on the mini tracks. I have a bunch of the two stroke SYX bikes, but they can't really hold up to the stresses of riding hard. I picked up a cheap tao tao db17, and figured I can convert that to a supermoto to ride with him.

Anyway, nice to be here, and I hope I learn some stuff, and can teach a few things myself.

Here's a picture of me and the kiddo, the kiddo in action, and me at my first track day at Roebling in 2020 (because those were the only pictures I bought)
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Helmet Vehicle Motorcycle helmet
Wheel Tire Motorcycle Automotive tire Motorcycle helmet

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to PM! So cool to see young people getting into the sport. A lot of grown ups ride these little bikes too, with taller seats and handlebars...and some bigger engines, since we don't weigh 86 pounds!
Lol. Yeah, it's awesome. He saw be buy my RC390, and decided he wanted to start riding. He's been riding for a couple years (turning 8 this year). I started him on a little razor electric bike, then a pocket bike, then the syx two strokes, then a Venom X15 (those suck, but he loves it), then a 60cc dirt bike, then a 110cc dirt bike, then ended up buying that crf50 after renting it, and finding out it was for sale. I'm about to sell all his other bikes except for the 110, so he has one bike for dirt, and one bike for the track. I'm doing the same, as I already have an RFZ Z20 max, and turning the DB17 into a sumo so I can ride with him on both. I only have the the db17 because it showed up on Craigslist for $100. lol. Decided to do the conversion, and make it happen. lol.

· Registered
106 Posts
Thank you! He did a lot better than I expected out there. I can't wait to ride with him, so I can more easily show him some things.
every so often there is a sweet price on a xr100, keep an eye out, that would be a great bike for a full size grown up mini motard build and should be just right to be keeping up with your little ripper and his xr50

· Registered
106 Posts
maybe even an xr80 would be a nice little mini motard build for you to be able to ride side by side with your little son

the best part is what you invest on yourself in a 80 or 100 XR motard build, its the perfect step up bike for your son as well as he graduates from the 50 xr

though plenty of other bikes that would fit the bill, 2stoke 4 stroke whatever its all good!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.