PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 1989 Honda Z 50 R on saturday. This thing is a cream puff for sure but it runs good. Needs some work but looks like I have a long road ahead of me from looking at what you guys have built. Any Ideas would be great. Gonna try and fix it up for my 5 year old for her first mini bike. Gonna need some parts but looks like I have found the right place for it. Have found alot of parts but not sure about the front forks, can you buy the forks from the handle bars down, no wheel of course that comes as one piece? Will the gas tank from a CUB (saw it on Hooper web site on their bike)fit the z 50r?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Depends on what type of forks you want. If you are staying with stock forks you might be able to find a omplete front end on here for sale. You can also check the vendors their are many options with or without wheel, bars, clamps, etc Not sure about the gas tank but never heard of anyone using it I have seen original japan black ones for sale or the plastic reproductions

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Your bike has no forks now, or the lower chrome sliding part is bent, or what? Can you post some pics of it?

I've recently acquired some miscellaneous Z50R front end parts and might be able to help you out, depending on what you need...Seems unlikely you'd need to buy a whole front end, unless you got a bike missing a front end to begin with.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The front part of the bike is bent up at the chrome tubes that attach to the wheel. I'm afraid if I replaced just the inner fork that the other part could be bent also so I would really like to find a complete front fork assembly minus the wheel from the handle bars down that are in good shape. Thanks Again for any help.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Most of the time it is just those chrome tubes. I have never seen one that bent the upper part.

All 50's usually need the bushings replaced anyway. Get some new fork legs and some upgraded bushings and you should be good to go. That way you dont have to worry about the upper half not matching. Oh, and the '89 Z should only use a shock from a '79-99 to be correct.

Post a picture of the profile of the bike and I could tell if there bent.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went out and looked at the forks it actually looks like the chrome part is the only thing that is bad, has a dent. Guess the handle bars being bent some made it look worse. What suggestion you have as far as buying the parts to redo the lower half, factory honda or aftermarket? Thanks again

·
Administrator
10,667 Posts
An aftermarket set of +1 with the delrin bushings. You really don't need the Heavy Duty fork springs for your 5 year old, unless you plan on "warming the bike up for a few laps" to make sure it is ready for her to ride.

Shop around for decent +1s, stay away from the eBay crap. There are a few brand name kits to watch for: Five0 racing, Fast50s, BBR are among the top-drawer names you can rely on for good quality parts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.